LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Impact of Navy SONAR and Explosive Testing & Training on Marine Mammals

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/navy...ns-sea-mammals

To me, studies like these tend to generate more questions than answers.

Who actually conducted this study - the Navy or a contractor paid by the Navy? Was there an expected or desired outcome from this study?
    What methodology was used? Was most of it done using modeling and simulation on a computer? Who performed the tasks involved in this study: data techs, interns, new hires (from Craig's List?), or someone with actual experience and wisdom in this field?
    Buzzwords and phrases like: "temporary", "short term", "negligible long-term effects", and "not having any significant impact on the environment" in the context of this article tend to raise flags.

But what's more important, our national security or a the lives of a "negligible" number of dolphins and whales? There are always trade-offs. If this testing is important, what possible additional steps can be taken to minimize "collateral damage"?

The link forwards you to a subscription site after about 20 seconds. I apologize for the problem. If I can find another way to post the article (for anyone interested) I'll try again.

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    The link forwards you to a subscription site after about 20 seconds. I apologize for the problem. If I can find another way to post the article (for anyone interested) I'll try again.
    Here's an earlier (Aug 2013) and shorter article from USA Today on the same study:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...eaths/2742319/

They should send that Paul Watson guy against the Navy.. that guy is a joke. Too bad that the military is no joke.. god luck trying to get them to really change their policy. Plus do you want ruskies and nazis piloting submarines to new york?

Humans are ****s to the planet. The military is pretty much the leader in not caring about the environment. If we don't care about vaporizing an entire island, why would we care about a few whales/dolphins?

I love the smell of fallout in the morning. It smells like victory.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post

I love the smell of fallout in the morning. It smells like victory.
    Looks like some nice off-shore winds.

Are those ships empty and there as a test?? Otherwise they did the army equivalent of pulling the pin on a grenade and forgetting to throw the dam thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    Are those ships empty and there as a test?? Otherwise they did the army equivalent of pulling the pin on a grenade and forgetting to throw the dam thing.
    That was a test to see the effectiveness of atomic weapons against ships.

Re: the OP, this testing and damage it causes to marine mammals is reason # 23841324 why we need massive military cuts

Images
    I would guess those ships in the pic are empty, but the govt. definitely put soldiers at various distances from nuclear explosions(in other tests) to determine harm from radiation and such.