LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I have a modern long board with a 2+1 (not the retro) and its a good board, but I do wish I had spent the extra few bucks for something local. Talk to your shaper, you can get one cheaper than you think. Skip the resin tints, gloss coat, pin lines, graphics etc.. and you can drop the price dramatically.
    This is the truth. If you talk to your local shaper tell him your budget and he will let you know what he can do for you. Its always better to put money into your brothers pocket than some large pop out boner jam company.

Brian Wynn Surfboards based in South Jersey has shaped some of the better boards in this area and if you get it bare bones like that guy said, it'll cost about the same as said pop out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSmith View Post
    What's some "extras" I can skip?? Is it mostly just appearance things or is it anything that would effect performance?
    a lot of it is appearance-based & has already been mentioned...gloss & polish, color work of any kind, pinlines, etc...you can also skip nose concave, which is something that aids noseriding, but isn't necessary.

basically, you want a plain white, single stringer longboard w/ a sanded finish.

Quote Originally Posted by srfmdi418 View Post
    Just look for a used one in good condition by a reputable shaper, you'll be happy you did.You should easily be able to find one in your price range.
    this is solid advice as well. lots of good used logs floating around out there if you know where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    GSI isnt crap I had one and it was VERY nice.
    gsi most assuredly IS crap, esp. the non-name brand lines like modern. they might LOOK good, but a board (as we all know) is more than aesthetics. the blanks they use are second-rate foam at best. they skimp on glassing & use unskilled labor to sand the things, so the boards are rife w/ sand thrus & blemishes. they might put a little more effort into the name brand lines like walden, but i seriously doubt it.
    avoid gsi like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    a lot of it is appearance-based & has already been mentioned...gloss & polish, color work of any kind, pinlines, etc...you can also skip nose concave, which is something that aids noseriding, but isn't necessary.

basically, you want a plain white, single stringer longboard w/ a sanded finish.
    How much of a difference does the nose concave make for nose riding? It isn't anything dramatic is it?

good advice here..local is the way to go and skip the fancy stuff if you are on a budget. you wont be spending anywhere near $1000 unless you start adding gloss, polish, resin tint, etc, as previously mentioned. you'll probably be more in the $600 range. it doesn't hurt to ask around, right?

Definitely think ill pop in on a local shaper later on. I was mostly interested in the price of the gsi but if I can get a local for the same price even better.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSmith View Post
    How much of a difference does the nose concave make for nose riding? It isn't anything dramatic is it?
    no, it creates some extra lift, so it makes noseriding easier, & you can stay up there longer/surf the board from the nose (so you don't have to backpeddle as much), but you can certainly noseride a properly sized log w/out it. it's a nice design feature if you can swing it, most of the high-end logs that are $1,000+ will have it, but it does make extra work for the shaper, so eliminating it will help keep the cost down.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    gsi most assuredly IS crap, esp. the non-name brand lines like modern. they might LOOK good, but a board (as we all know) is more than aesthetics. the blanks they use are second-rate foam at best. they skimp on glassing & use unskilled labor to sand the things, so the boards are rife w/ sand thrus & blemishes. they might put a little more effort into the name brand lines like walden, but i seriously doubt it.
    avoid gsi like the plague.
    Okay...I surfed one hard for a couple seasons in RI and it served me very well. I am a big guy and it held up great... not many pressure dents or anything compared to some other boards I have had. Very well made from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    Okay...I surfed one hard for a couple seasons in RI and it served me very well. I am a big guy and it held up great... not many pressure dents or anything compared to some other boards I have had. Very well made from my experience.
    Do you remember the model ?