LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    surfboards are one of the last items that you can truly buy locally and support a local guy who isn't a millionaire / billionaire but makes the same quality or even better than the large corporation at a similar or better price. Do you want to increase burton snowboards stock (or even worse, a company with a much lesser reputation, GSI) by a thousandth of a cent or put a few day's pay in a local shaper's pocket?

I recently bought my first log (I'm a short boarder, but in NY you get an extra 100 days a year or so with a longboard). I tried a few pop outs and a few hand-shaped boards. I can honestly say as a short boarder that longboards show their personality even more than shortboards do. Remember, on a log, the board is doing the driving, you really feel its input. Longboard pop outs feel much more soulless than shortboard pop outs. I love my Sakal (smallish shaper out of Huntington - not exactly local), which was about $600, but I'm sure your local shop has something from a local (or at least, hand) shaper around that price. I doubt you'll be paying any more than you would for anything by GSI.

my shaper costs far less, the majority of locals ride his boards, and he laughs at crap like walden.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    And thats fine but if someone pays for a gsi board, its most likely a pretty good board.
    the company took care of me when the superfish arrived with shipping damage paying for the repair plus some more.
    I've done a lot of ding repairs on GSI boards (Webber, Aloha come to mind). Presumably someone paid for those boards, and they were not pretty good boards. As was said above they typically have oversanded thinly glassed poly laminations resulting in thin and brittle glass. Its quite noticable when you do ding repairs on these boards.
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 12, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSmith View Post
    definitely think ill get a board from a local guy. his pricing is actually cheaper than the gsi and way better.
    good on ya! you'll be stoked for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    I've done a lot of ding repairs on GSI boards (Webber, Aloha come to mind). Presumably someone paid for those boards, and they were not pretty good boards. As was said above they typically have oversanded thinly glassed poly laminations resulting in thin and brittle glass. Its quite noticable when you do ding repairs on these boards.
    not to mention that nearly all (90-95%+) of all the blown FCS plugs i've seen have been GSI boards.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    a lot of it is appearance-based & has already been mentioned...gloss & polish, color work of any kind, pinlines, etc...you can also skip nose concave, which is something that aids noseriding, but isn't necessary.

basically, you want a plain white, single stringer longboard w/ a sanded finish.
    This is along the lines what I'll be looking for. A basic longboard by a local (VB or OBX) shaper.