LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best surf trip travel bag?

So I have finally made plans to go visit my friend in California for the first time, I'll be flying out there, with my board, its a 6' fish, wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which board bag to buy or suggestions on how to pack the board in the bag (foam, any wrapping?) Not looking to spend more then $150 on the board bag though, any suggestions will help, thanks!

Images
    The last several trips i have taken i did exactly what this guy below did. all of my boards are basicaly between 5'10" and 6"6" so I bought a $60 7'0" funshape day bag, and have traveled quite a few times with one or two shortboard boards like this without any issues, and the day bags are just so much lighter and easier to deal with once you get to where your going:

Quote Originally Posted by pmoos View Post
    To get by without spending a fortune:
    Borrow a day bag from a friend that is significantly larger than your normal day bag for the board.
    Wrap board in several layers of bubble wrap or sheet foam
    Use pipe insulation (home depot) to cover the rails. Put a double layer on tip and tail of board.
    Make sure it fits in the bag.
    Bring an extra roll of tape to put it all back together for the flight home.
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Images
    If your in the DC area i will rent you one of mine. Have soft case that will hold up to two 6'10"s and a hard case that will hold up to 2 6'4"s. If your only taking one board the hard case can also fit a lot of your cloths and wetsuit.

Images
    I always used a soft day bag. and then wrapped the rails of the board with pipe insulation from home depot- it works like a charm- use masking tape and wrap it around the whole board to keep the insulation on. buy a bag bigger then your board. for a 6' fish I would get a 6'10 or 7 bag... otherwise you cant add any extra cushion packing material. I have seen them on whiskey militia and on seshday.com for cheap...
    hard case is the best way to go... but cost $$$$
    just pack it well...

thanks for all the quick responses guys, really appreciate it!

i bought a travel coffin for $130 online, brand new. Did the job great for me. Its a 6'8" Komunity double board travel coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by live2surf View Post
    If your in the DC area i will rent you one of mine. Have soft case that will hold up to two 6'10"s and a hard case that will hold up to 2 6'4"s. If your only taking one board the hard case can also fit a lot of your cloths and wetsuit.
    I may take you up on this offer in March for my annual surf trip. Puerto Rico again. Stoked!

What size board did you put in it? Would it work for my 6' fish?
    Quote Originally Posted by frontsidecrotchgrab View Post
    i bought a travel coffin for $130 online, brand new. Did the job great for me. Its a 6'8" Komunity double board travel coffin.

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Cabo, picked this one up for my 5'8" quad fish hybrid. Almost indestructible, I was very happy with it. Highly recommended.

http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com...hfunboard.aspx

I also have a 6'10" Balin Travel Coffin with wheels. It's like a Sherman Tank, but it's crappy for carrying 1 funshape.