LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spirit Airlines

Thanks for all the information. I agree, JetBlue is the best I love flying with them, but they do not fly to Nicaragua so I am stuck with mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by HaoleNJ View Post
    Not to mention I feel like spirits planes are made from parts found at a junk yard
    omg...that's what it is! i knew their planes gave me a vague uneasy feeling, but i couldn't put my finger on why. they definitely have a "scrounged together from leftover parts after a crash" vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsurfer2 View Post
    Thanks for all the information. I agree, JetBlue is the best I love flying with them, but they do not fly to Nicaragua so I am stuck with mediocrity.
    then fly Any Other Airline.

Avoid Spirit at all costs!!!!

I booked three tickets and had to prepay for our surfboards to fly. I did the 24 hour checkin the day before just to make sure everything was cool and yep, it wasn't! They told me that they were unable to checkin the boards due to the flight being booked and there was no room for large items such as surfboards. They said they that they would refund me the board money but I told them the only reason I was going to Managua was to surf and that the boards were kind of needed to accomplish that. So now I have non-fundable airline tickets and can't bring the surfboards. I checked around everywhere to see if I could ship the boards or fly on another airline. Closest I could find was UPS and it was $2500.00 and would take a week!

Thank God for COPA airlines!!! They are the best!!! I had to eat the airfare from Spirit but COPA actually ended up cheaper and they only charged us for one surfboard even though we packed three per board bag.

The only thing about COPA is that you have to fly to Panama first and then connect to Managua. Wasn't a big deal though and was well worth it.

DO NOT FLY SPIRIT!!!! I REPEAT..... DO NOT FLY SPIRIT......

They will tell you everything is cool up until the last minute and then you will be screwed!

Please heed this advice if you don't want to spend all of your money and still not get your boards to Nicaragua!

Jet Blue is also a really good airline but COPA was a lot cheaper and more flexible on the boards flying.

JetBlue any day of the week over Spirit! decently priced fares and a whole lot better service. have taken the dwon to Central America on a few occassions and was always pretty happy with them.

Continental sucks too. They screwed me on my (pre-Fukishima) Japan trip. I lost a day of vacation hanging out in Jersey. I made the most of it, but spending an extra day in Jersey was not part of the plan. Long Branch can be fun, but Japan is dope and Continental is not.

You suck Continental...

I'm going to play devils advocate here and defend Spirit a bit.

I like their business model, since I don't want to pay for what I don't use. If you can get away with minimal packing, you can game their system and come out on top. 2 surfboards per bag at $100 each way and overweight/oversize fees do not apply. Stuff your board bag with everything you are bringing and you come out ahead.

Also, Spirit has the 3rd youngest Airbus fleet in operation in the Americas. If you want to fly some old planes try Delta, United or US Airways. Of course I'm talking about the age of the airframe not the seats or interiors.

I travel a lot for business and every airline has their positives and negatives. You should know what you are getting into before you buy a ticket and have realistic expectations.

Spirit is great for people who "just want to get there" without spending an entire paycheck on the ticket.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burritoman View Post
    I'm going to play devils advocate here and defend Spirit a bit.

I like their business model, since I don't want to pay for what I don't use. If you can get away with minimal packing, you can game their system and come out on top. 2 surfboards per bag at $100 each way and overweight/oversize fees do not apply. Stuff your board bag with everything you are bringing and you come out ahead.

Also, Spirit has the 3rd youngest Airbus fleet in operation in the Americas. If you want to fly some old planes try Delta, United or US Airways. Of course I'm talking about the age of the airframe not the seats or interiors.

I travel a lot for business and every airline has their positives and negatives. You should know what you are getting into before you buy a ticket and have realistic expectations.

Spirit is great for people who "just want to get there" without spending an entire paycheck on the ticket.
    Amen brother!!!! Just want to get there and surf and still have a little cash......

$50 for any bag you can't fit under the seat in front of you. And up.

i hate flying spirit air for surf trips. it ends up costing more due to all the nickel and dime charges. Jet blue is a pleasure, almost always saves $$ over spirit. only fly spirit if youre not bringing anything on the plane (charging for carry ons is fuct)