LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Advice, getting back into it

Hello, new here. Surfed Jersey Shore from age 8 until about 20. Always a shortboard, I enjoyed every minute, but never was that great, lol. 35 now, have had the itch and I'm gonna pull the trigger on a longboard. Looking between a 8'6" and 9'4" range. I'm 5'8" 185lbs. I would appreciate any suggestions helping me out on the board purchase. Size, shape, etc. and possible advice on locations to look for used boards. I live in AC area. Looking for something that will get me back into it but not something that will bore me in first month. I understand I'm asking a lot and there are probably many different views, just would appreciate the advice of the guys that been out there. Thanks

Images
    gets some roids then head to the gym in oc new jersey, we will proceed in a bench off if i win i get your soul, if i lose ill buy you a new dumbbell set?

Traitor. You can't leave and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    gets some roids then head to the gym in oc new jersey, we will proceed in a bench off if i win i get your soul, if i lose ill buy you a new dumbbell set?
    I don't do Ocean City, dry town, not for me!!! But I appreciate the quick response.

There are tons of performance longboards. People like the McTavish Fireball and walden Magic, the Robert August What I Ride. My favorite longboard for years is a custom 9' shaped by Tim Nolte in OBX. If you really want a longboard, that is. But if you want to "rip" you will soon tire of the long board. If you want to catch a lot of rides with less work . . . Long board is it. I have surfed overhead waves on very average long boards.

Long rides less work sounds my speed. Walden magic is a board I have been eying and reading about. Thank you.

i have a 10' Modern Retro. Im 23 i ride it in anything less then shoulder high and love ittt.

I'm the same height but about 160lbs and for knee high to overhead I love my 5'10" quad fish. Floats and paddles similar to a LB but is way more versatile. I would say since you rode short boards before get a short thick board that floats and trims well. And I would also say stay away from the GSI brands. As the other thread on them showed you can get a locally made board or a good used one for the same or less and they are much better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    I'm the same height but about 160lbs and for knee high to overhead I love my 5'10" quad fish. Floats and paddles similar to a LB but is way more versatile. I would say since you rode short boards before get a short thick board that floats and trims well. And I would also say stay away from the GSI brands. As the other thread on them showed you can get a locally made board or a good used one for the same or less and they are much better quality.
    Yes, have got similar advice. Within a year I see myself with a longboard and then a quad fish. I know nothing about the fish, about what size at 185lbs.? Again, thanks for the assistance

Slater is 41 so 35 is no excuse for a long board. You may still be able to perform a turn. With that being said, get yourself a fun board shape and have some fun in a variety of conditions. I'm partial to 7'6"s because that is the size of the fun board I have and the year I was born so using that rational you should get yourself a 7'8"...Go to a local shaper for extra good karma...