LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New York Surfing as a grad school student next year

Hey guys,

Theres a possibility of me ending up in New York as a grad school student next year. How far of a commute is it from inner-Manhattan to a beach on Long Island? What do you think of me bringing my board onto the subway and such? How are the waves up there compared to Jersey?

I really want to have surfing as an outlet next year and hope I can finagle a way to surf even being away from Jersey.

-Bruce

Use this thread for NY vs NJ-> http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showt...21425-NJ-vs-NY

Being located in Manhattan you are well centered to make the commute east to the island or south to the shore depending on conditions. I think bringing your board on the train will provoke people take photos of you and instagram the pics.. but you can still do it, use a board bag though.

Take the A train to Rockaway

Closest is rockaway beach. but its not best. due to conditions and crowds. but if you're a winter warrior you should be able to find plenty of space. finding the swells seems to be a bit of a challenge lately!

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Closest is rockaway beach. but its not best. due to conditions and crowds. but if you're a winter warrior you should be able to find plenty of space. finding the swells seems to be a bit of a challenge lately!
    Not for my spot.

Could also take LIRR out further east to Lincoln or Jones but the further east you go the more youre going to want a car

beware of those who are only into it for the "scene"...sounds like the majority of nyc surfers are hopeless hipster wannabes.

http://stabmag.com/the-city-surfer-risen/

Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    Not for my spot.
    can't help you on the crowds dude.... its how it is now.

So how far is Rockaway Beach from when you get off the train?

Quote Originally Posted by bdub17 View Post
    So how far is Rockaway Beach from when you get off the train?
    probably take a few minutes to walk from the train to the beach... plus or minus depending on which spot you want to go to. google a map of the area.