LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wetsuit question

Alright,
    So I bought a Patagonia R2 front zip wetsuit and I really want to like it. But, it really just doesn't fit me. I am 5'11" and 200 lbs. I'm not fat,I just workout. I went with an XL and I know a XXL would be too big in the rest of the parts. It fits all over except in my neck and shoulders. Pull over part constantly pulls on my throat not quite choking me but making it uncomfortable. Maybe a rear zip would work better? I have wide shoulders and back from working out and I think these suits are made for skinny lanky kids with no muscles. Anyhow, anyone have any reccomendations on wetsuits of similar quality that would fit someone of my size better?
    Thanks

Images
    Hey man I have similar issues when it comes to sizing up my suits. While I could stand to shed a few pounds, I'm built similarly to you...I'm a shorter, stocky dude who even w/ minimal bodyfat % wouldn't be less than 200lbs. I find O'neills to be a good fit for me, as well as a buddy of mine who's a bigger framed dude.

i'm pretty similarly sized & find that o'neill & rip curl fit me best.

i've heard others complain about the cut of patagonia suits for the same reason. i'd love to try one, but i think i'd have the same issue you did. i tried a matuse on & thought i was going to die in it as i was pretty convinced there was no way to get it off.

I have a similar build and have tried on Matuse and Patagoina, I think they base their sizes on little Indonesian people. I have been using Excel CZ suits for the past few years with no issue and before that I was using Quiksilver. The Excel is a better suit in my opinion

Have you tried using a wet suit stretcher? One of my sisters got a patagucci and had the same problem, she had some augmentation done, I believe for increased flotation and no longer fits the stock dims. Wet suit stretcher fixed it right up. If you don't have a wet suit stretcher, just get 4 heavy duty alligator clips (the ones from an old jumper cable work best) and some nylon rope, tie the rope to the alligator clips and then clip them onto the part of the suit you want to stretch out, in your case the neck. Then pull the string really tight and tie it to four opposing points in the room, you know a table, a door knob, the toilet whatever. Just torque the hell out of it. The end result should be your wetsuit suspended in mid-air, gently swaying in the breeze and getting stretched out to your desired dimensions.

Images
    Oneil brah oneil....

Images
    Dude, and this goes for all of y'all.....

Buy your suits at your local surf shop. TRY ON THE SUIT...........

Also remember that neoprene losens-up a bit when wet.......

I agree on Oneill. I recently bought the mutant 4/3 large, I'm 5'11" 185lbs average build and its loose in the shoulders/upperback. Another 10 lbs or so and I'd probably fit into it real nicely.

Images
    Don't buy sh!t on the internet......

F AMAZON and all of that stuff.

Support your local surf shop.

Oh and kiddies, remember if you're still a growing boy that a little room isn't bad. You don't want to be buying new suits every time you have a little growth spurt......

Why Johnny, I remember you when you were this tall...............

South Jersey dudes, go to Heritage Surf in Ocean City and get the the dude who's aboot 5'9'' with dark brown(black) hair, slender build, who sports a little beard. He's the best. He's so nice and helpful.....Throw him some commission.

Help your communities buy supporting local surf shops. Heck, go buy something at them all this Christmas. Keep it in the family.

Oh, you guys sound ultra sexy, brahs.

Quote Originally Posted by eaelliott5 View Post
    Alright,
    So I bought a Patagonia R2 front zip wetsuit and I really want to like it. But, it really just doesn't fit me. I am 5'11" and 200 lbs. I'm not fat,I just workout. I went with an XL and I know a XXL would be too big in the rest of the parts. It fits all over except in my neck and shoulders. Pull over part constantly pulls on my throat not quite choking me but making it uncomfortable. Maybe a rear zip would work better? I have wide shoulders and back from working out and I think these suits are made for skinny lanky kids with no muscles. Anyhow, anyone have any reccomendations on wetsuits of similar quality that would fit someone of my size better?
    Thanks
    I'm 5' 11" and 195 lbs. But flat as a pancake, not super built but really really wide. Dimensions on sizing charts don't work for me. RipCurl XL fits me best. I find Oneill are too big in the shoulder/lat area, but they might work for you.