LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    damn.. the guy that started that thread needs a meal... over 6 foot and weighing 165 lbs.... damn.... if ya see me at the beach... i'll buy you a taco or a dog dude...

Images
    Hey dude, I mean if thats what your into I guess...

what i did....

Quote Originally Posted by randomherochris View Post
    I actually have a question along the same lines

I've been riding a 7'2 fun board for a while and i'm thinkin of going shorter

any suggestions?

I've been surfing sporadically for a few years. I haven't owned a board, just always rented. I started out around 8.5ft and kind of worked my way down to about where you are -- sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

Anyway, two weeks ago for my birthday, my GF got me a a board (with pretty specific instructions from me). The board i got is this one:

https://triplexsurfandskim.c3.ixwebh...uct_detail&p=4

It's an eopxy fish. Much of what i read online said fishes were good transition boards to go short. I have to say after one session in Del on 6/8 I am STOKED. I think it was acutally easier to catch waves and stand up on than the BIC funboards I had been renting. Plus you can really make some turns with it. In one day my surfing went up to a whole new level. Also, this board is probably a little bit on the big side for me (5'7" - 150lb)

Anyway...some people will scoff since it's made overseas...but heres a good post that might clear the air a bit on some of the misconceptions...

http://www.swellinfo.com/forum/showp...11&postcount=9

As to the guy who started the thread....

why not start out renting a few boards first? I would start out going 9ft and work your way down and see if you can keep catching waves. Of course, nothing wrong with starting out shorter and just having a bit more patience...

I rented a 7S Aussie Fish in C.R. That board was awesome. It was a 6'7 X 20 X 2 5/8. oh.. and I'm 6'2 210lbs. I would've bought it but they wanted a fortune, like 400,000 colones. = $781 (at the time).

I'm a big fan of the 7S boards though. Good stuff.

Get a longboard. Regardless of how good you get, you'll always want a good log to ride on the small days. It's a good investment and will last forever.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    Images
    i started surfing about 9 months ago and kinda jumped into it blindly. i had tried my friend's 6'6 fish and liked it so i decided to get a shortboard as opposed to a longboard (tried it and liked the quicker more maneuverable boards). bad decision at the time. it was really difficult learning on my board (6'2 thruster), but i went surfing about once a week all the way into january and eventually i taught myself the hard way and i'm finally riding those long waves and getting great rides.

I managed to haggle my way down to make the board under $150 and its great. so buy a board suited to your wants and your level of skill. and dont forget your price range hah. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by pvjumper05 View Post
    i had tried my friend's 6'6 fish and liked it so i decided to get a shortboard as opposed to a longboard (tried it and liked the quicker more maneuverable boards). bad decision at the time. it was really difficult learning on my board (6'2 thruster), but i went surfing about once a week all the way into january and eventually i taught myself the hard way and i'm finally riding those long waves and getting great rides.
    you did not make a bad decision...you are SO far ahead of where you'd be if you bought some huge popout or longboard and paddled around for the last 9 months without ever actually learning how to catch waves on a surfboard thats your size. i learned on a mid 6 foot thruster and so did most other ppl until about 10 years ago when everybody decided that "easiest is best"

Images

Swallow

I'd recommend a 6'6 swallow tail with a little more width through the body and nose. Similar to one i learned on... great for any swell and for learning. I had a chemistry like that. it was excellent.. maybe something to consider?
    ________
    buy vaporgenie
    Last edited by Jersey_lifer; Jan 28, 2011 at 05:22 AM.