LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How bout some Baja California? Is it fairly accessible & safe to go down tht way?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWocal View Post
    How bout some Baja California? Is it fairly accessible & safe to go down tht way?
    I would drive thru Tijuana as quick as you can, couple of military check points up to Ensenada. Ensenada is a safe port town (closest part of mainland to Todos Santos if you wanna find a boat), cheap rooms, fun party scene, nice little empty spot I surfed with some dolphins by the military airport south of town. After Ensenada it is Baja dessert, small villages, empty breaks, be smart and you'll be fine. Best roadside fish tacos I ever ate, maybe 50 cents a piece and that was gringo prices. One trip made it as far south as El Rosario, found a sweet ocean front resort that Reagan stayed at for like 20 bucks a night in the off season, albeit beach break but definitely an experience. Baja isn't a route for the cartels to traffic, but with that being said that's what the military is gonna be searching you for at the checkpoints thinking you're a mule so be smart. Enjoy the tacos...
    Last edited by davincimoon; Dec 21, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Images
    Yeah, I agree with davincimoon there. SDSU is literally less than a 20 minute drive to the border. Skate through TJ lickety split. Always early morning or during daylight. You may hit a checkpoint on your way up to La Playa in TJ, but after that, its smooth sailing along the coastline to Ensenada. For all intents and purposes, there are about 50 world class breaks in that area, so my daily trip was usually as follows.

Stop at La Fonda if the wife was with me. Park in a safe area right in front of the hotel. Walk through the hotel and down the stairs to a SICK beach break.... You can also surf on the the numerous points between TJ, Rosarito and Ensenada. Calafia is one of my favorites if there is a solid South in the water. Little tricky, but an epic point break into a boneyard.... You will need some local knowledge for a few of the spots, but if you surf k38 and all the well known spots, you will have a few gringos around you. Makes you feel a bit safer. But I would always spend the day surfing close to Ensenada, then before the sun went down, we would drive into Downtown Ensenada to a little hotel. It was $30 per night, and all gated. You actually drive you car into the gates and park directly in front of your room. It keeps your gear safe and your wheels safe. Then you just walk down the strip and party. Its very safe in that area unless you go 4-5 blocks off the strip. You have "Pharmacias" and all that crap if that is your thing, but its always a great time to crush a bunch of authentic mexican food and drink some ice cold beer.

Don't drink any liquor on the rocks. Just do shots. No mixed drinks with ice. And always watch your bartender when they pour your drinks... Well, this is TJ talk, cause I have had a group of about 8 of us almost all get roofied if we hadnt seen the guys doing it....

Just follow the normal, "dont be an idiot" standards and you will be okay. Dont ride dirty, cause you can get anything you need down there and if you have a problem at a check point and they wont take a pay off, you will be in a mexican jail. Which is obviously bad news.....

Check out Alaska. The waves are uncrowded and the bears are delicious.

Are there any secrete spots left? Or is all that area too well known? Not a fan of crowds as it is, and I'm not trying to add to mess... I'd rather have wave quantity over quality

Why is this even a question? Daygo

Images
    I recently just got admitted to SDSU & SFSU... Where would ya goons go if ya had the choice? Stay classy in San Diego? Or shred some deadly ocean beach.. I've been to the central coast and farther up north, but can't say I've been farther south of LA.. My vote is vibing more towards SDSU even though I've never been there. What's your two pennies?
    if your from the northeast/mid atlantic, prepare for ridiculous crowds in SD. we're used to empty, surfable jetties every other beach, but over there it's a lot different. weather/waves are friendlier but that's what creates the trade off

Images
    Its hard to beat San Diego... That would be my choice.

Having lived in the bay area, i would say, without a doubt go to sdsu. You may get a better book education in sf cause the waves will be cold, and so will the weather. Famous mark twain quote bout sf weather "the coldest winter i ever had was a summer in san francisco". Took a few road trips to san diego and had warm(er) waves and hot girls all over the place. Had to hang up on my girlfriend from sensory overload just driving down the street, hot beachy surfer girls all over. Not the case in sf.

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means ‘a whale’s vagina.'