LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decision time

Environmental has fallen off much in recent years, you limit yourself. Go with Civil, and you can move into more environmentally related jobs. It makes you more marketable. I'm a civil and good buddy graduated with an Enviro degree.....he's now doing geotech work and back in to get his civil masters so he knows wtf he's doing!!

Take it for what it's worth.

Pick the school that is best going to suit your future.

Once you graduate and have a college degree and a nice paying job you can surf anywhere you want to!

In the meantime while you're at school concentrate on your studies and get a side job in which you can just stash cash for surfing. When you get time off from school sneak away to get some surfing done. You can do lots of little quick trips to like El Salvador or Puerto Rico etc... These are destinations in which are inexpensive and also more easily accessible to get to in a timely manor.

To sum it up.... Study hard and reward yourself in between with some good surf! A good surf trip here and there will also help refresh yourself!

Images
    Brah- too bad there is no college in Belmar, NJ- otherwise I would say move there since they have the best waves on the east coast.

If your serious about surfing and can't stand not to surf while at college- stay. Serisouly. I have traveled the east coast extensively for work and found that to be my favorite spot for everything- surfing and living - second only to BELMAR, NJ of coarse.

If you have grown up there and never left town and want to experience somewhere else- well you could and it would be an adventure but I would advise that you already are in one of the best places around from my personal view point. Unless you want to go to Cali or Hawaii...

Plus you will save a lot of cash and you will not be having to pay off college loans for the next ten years.

Just remember- after school you can always get married and have kids and move the family to Belmar, NJ for the best waves around

#belmarfamilytown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Pick the school that is best going to suit your future
    Actually this is prolly the best advise... Personally I would pick a tech or trade school since getting a job out of school is easier

I was just writing above from strictly a surfing point of view..

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    Environmental has fallen off much in recent years, you limit yourself. Go with Civil, and you can move into more environmentally related jobs. It makes you more marketable. I'm a civil and good buddy graduated with an Enviro degree.....he's now doing geotech work and back in to get his civil masters so he knows wtf he's doing!!

Take it for what it's worth.
    How difficult is civil? That's what I'm planning to go to school for

Quote Originally Posted by babybabygrand View Post
    but thinking further ahead banman...where do you wanna end up? if you wanna wind up in HI, or West coast, or some big city, You'll prob need a college degree, most likely something beyond a B.S., and tons of experience in your field before you land a job in the environmental field. its tight as a tick right now. Even with a BS you'll prob start off doing "tech" work for a larger firm. i.e. you'll be the guy getting samples and doing all the (at times very hard) field work until someone above you retires or moves on. You gotta remember/realize the "boom" in the enviro field coincided with the housing boom that started in the mid 80s. All that land that "needed to be cleared" for suburbia had to be permitted/surveyed/approved and there was a demand for people knowledgeable with the myriad of regs and codes involved with it.

That process of build/build/build is occurring more slowly now because not only is suburbia pretty built out at the moment but the aftermath of the housing bubble slowed things down even more.

now if your goal is to end up back in a small southern surf town and have lots more time for the finer things in life, like surfing, and family and friends..i'd say just go to CFCC and learn a trade. if you're good with your hands and don't mind a lil bit of work Id def say forfeit a college degree... you'll be out sooner and can start work immediately. This is coming from someone who has ALOT of college under his belt. yes i did get a job (which i have now moved on from) but all i really learned from college is how useless it really is. They are not there to "educate" you..you are being trained. And its high priced training. you can get better and cheaper training at CFCC.
    I don't have a specific place in mind I want to end up, or even a time frame, but I really want to spend some time elsewhere, west coast or nic/el salv.

Money is a factor though, so going west for college isn't an option. Either way I'm still applying for grants/need based scholarships (grades aren't quite high enough for merit based), and will have a job here or raleigh, and hopefully lifeguarding wb or cb over the summer.