LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monmouth Beach, NJ
    Posts
    2,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    ...what's the best set up for a sail board that can efficiently tack upwind
    No sailboard can point higher than 45 degrees... most are much more than that. But like any kind of design, there's a tradeoff. Boards that point highest are longer and have symmetrically foiled center fins and/or centerboards or daggers. But these are the worst designs for wave riding. Wave riding boards are shorter and more surfboard like, with multiple fins and no center/daggerboards. For minimal wave riding ability (and no airs), get a longboard sailboard with a big, raked center fin in a box... no centerboard. You'll be able to point relatively high, using that big fin and a lot of windward rail, but you'll just be cruising the waves. Also keep in mind that more wind will let any board point higher.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
    BTW, that guy in the video is Jason Polakow - the guy surfs big waves, is a world champion windsurfer, kites and SUPs. Survived a 3 wave hold down at Peahi last year - look it up - super scary and makes you realize how difficult those conditions are, even while they make it look so easy. There's also some vids of him at Teauhupu (sp?) that are amazing.
    I noticed he towed in at Teahupoo goofy-foot, so that's probably his natural stance. So, when he was at Jaws, he was actually switch stance. That's really crazy.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Atlantic City
    Posts
    1,273

    sup w/windsurfin

    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    I windsurfed for a number of years in the early-mid 80s while stationed in Pensacola and San Diego. Bought my rig new in 81 while in P'cola for about $750. I'd go out in bays or lakes. Never made it out into the ocean or the surf. The sport was very popular then until around the mid-90's or so. Don't see it much anymore. Kite surfing seems to have replaced windsurfing to fill that nitch. I sold my rig after moving to VB.
    the sport made a wrong turn and was found by wayward europeans which kept it. funny, you
    know, the branches on surfings' evolutionary tree..

  4. #24
    Where I'm at windsurfing isn't as big anymore. You still see a few guys here and there but not many.

    What's really getting big is "kite boarding" Almost to the point that its a problem! Not as bad as paddleboarders though. Though with kite boarding you have to have somewhat of an idea what you are doing to be out there. With paddleboarders all you need is $1200 and you're an instant problem in the line-up!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Long Branch
    Posts
    366
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Where I'm at windsurfing isn't as big anymore. You still see a few guys here and there but not many.

    What's really getting big is "kite boarding" Almost to the point that its a problem! Not as bad as paddleboarders though. Though with kite boarding you have to have somewhat of an idea what you are doing to be out there. With paddleboarders all you need is $1200 and you're an instant problem in the line-up!
    true- and with a kite you're just as likely to kill yourself as you are other's if you don't know what you're doing

    paddleboard isnt much of a hazard to the rider

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    736
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    Where I'm at windsurfing isn't as big anymore. You still see a few guys here and there but not many.

    What's really getting big is "kite boarding" Almost to the point that its a problem! Not as bad as paddleboarders though. Though with kite boarding you have to have somewhat of an idea what you are doing to be out there. With paddleboarders all you need is $1200 and you're an instant problem in the line-up!
    Kiting looks like a serious sport, I watch the guys at deep hole in RI and the ones who know what's going on seem to have a blast, they can strategically stall the kite and carefully crawl over the rocks to get out but the ones who can't stall the kite on exit seem to get dragged over the rocks.
    Sup is a terrible problem in the line up, I like to sup but coming from prone surfing I understand the tensions that exist in the line up and a gay sup noob is the most annoying thing

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    736
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    No sailboard can point higher than 45 degrees... most are much more than that. But like any kind of design, there's a tradeoff. Boards that point highest are longer and have symmetrically foiled center fins and/or centerboards or daggers. But these are the worst designs for wave riding. Wave riding boards are shorter and more surfboard like, with multiple fins and no center/daggerboards. For minimal wave riding ability (and no airs), get a longboard sailboard with a big, raked center fin in a box... no centerboard. You'll be able to point relatively high, using that big fin and a lot of windward rail, but you'll just be cruising the waves. Also keep in mind that more wind will let any board point higher.

    Pretty much the set up I need is something that I can sail around as efficiently as a boat so I have the flexibility to head off shore and find breeze. In Maine I find that allot of perfect off shore wind is common but oftentimes also ankle high swell.
    So I was thinking that a long board with a keel would probably do the job like you mention. But I still want to go crazy fast in the apparent wind so I'm looking for that board. Perhaps built it but first I gotta know what I need. I've never wind surfed but avid hobie sailor

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Pretty much the set up I need is something that I can sail around as efficiently as a boat so I have the flexibility to head off shore and find breeze. In Maine I find that allot of perfect off shore wind is common but oftentimes also ankle high swell.
    So I was thinking that a long board with a keel would probably do the job like you mention. But I still want to go crazy fast in the apparent wind so I'm looking for that board. Perhaps built it but first I gotta know what I need. I've never wind surfed but avid hobie sailor
    If you're a beginner get something 150 or so liters in volume and a lightweight rig. Make sure the sail has no cambers. After you can come and go from the same spot and don't lose ground downwind, learn to waterstart as soon as possible. Waterstarting is critical to enjoying and progressing quickly.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblasters View Post
    i really wish i had a kite or wind board kite surfing is really popular here. ive seens some dudes lose a kite in 50knt winds the coast guard came in a chopper and took him away, while is expensive ass kite flu away.
    # youareadouchebag