LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: WaveStorm

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    21N 158W give or take
    Posts
    1,396
    leety hit it, JOB took it out at pipe, AND you can break it up to 4x, take it back and get a new one (Costco return policies) ....they are like 199.99 so that works out to about 50 bux a board. I have seen up to a dozen kids all riding them together at small gas chambers, all the kids laughing and hitting each other on the same wave.

    They do have a place, as you can get multiple riders on a single wave for a gaggle of fun, but overall they aren't performance oriented (obviously)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    VA Beach
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    ... I have seen up to a dozen kids all riding them together at small gas chambers, all the kids laughing and hitting each other on the same wave.

    They do have a place, as you can get multiple riders on a single wave for a gaggle of fun, but overall they aren't performance oriented (obviously)
    There appears to be a girl on one in the top portion of this pic. Similar conditions as you describe.
    http://www.surferdad.co.uk/wp-conten...ed-surfing.jpg

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    west coast
    Posts
    496
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    Surftechs aren't terrible they're just commercialized. I have a firewire because they're wicked strong. They are also commercialized but better than surftechs IMHO. I will support local shapers if I find one that fits my needs and the price is decent.

    I would never even look twice at that board in the OP. looks like a dog.
    I gotta disagree - surftechs are terrible. They're extremely durable and look great, but they're stiffer than a 2x4 and slow. Couldn't get any real speed out of the one I had and turns felt very strange/forced.

    not really hating on wavestorms so much as I'm wondering why so many decent surfers are buying them and riding them at the best spots...seems to me, if you can afford surfing at all, you can afford a real board made in USA. Where's the pride? Beginners learning and farting around on them at lesser quality spots is fine.
    Last edited by waterbaby; Dec 27, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    21N 158W give or take
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I'm wondering why so many decent surfers are buying them and riding them at the best spots
    They are not easy to ride in the tube. it's a challenge. It seems to me if you have the wave mastered, riding a wavestorm will make it more challenging, AKA JOB at pipe on one

    not gonna lie, I will defend wavestorm

    for one it KILLS your ego....I mean how 'cool' is it? not very, but how fun is it? VERY
    it strips down a lot of the BS and brings you back to a more childish and SHARING state of waveriding

  5. #15
    I bought one of these for my wife to learn on. She was scared of my longboard after it hit her last year. She likes this because of all the foam. ( $ 80 at Costco)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Promontorium Tremendum
    Posts
    751
    Images
    1
    a Wavestorm is the best $99 i ever spent for surf gear - this is why:



    my 4 y/o catches waves on it, fights pirates, dives for treasure, plays with his buddies...been bounced off the deck and popped in the head by it and gets right back up on it and loves it. oh, it's also good for houseguests, wannabes, surf lessons, and small days. if you debate it's value on it's technical merits, you're missing the point.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    722
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    a Wavestorm is the best $99 i ever spent for surf gear - this is why:



    my 4 y/o catches waves on it, fights pirates, dives for treasure, plays with his buddies...been bounced off the deck and popped in the head by it and gets right back up on it and loves it. oh, it's also good for houseguests, wannabes, surf lessons, and small days. if you debate it's value on it's technical merits, you're missing the point.
    Very well said. But they most likely contribute to the land fills and sustain the throw away culture prevalent in the surf industry. Like you said tho, great for the points you made.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,154
    I don't own one but I've seen plenty who do and they all seem to be having fun, and they earned that money most likely through hard work, so whatever they want to spend THEIR money on is fine with me. You'll never see me with one but who cares if someone else does? Hanna said it best though.... he's right

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    I gotta disagree - surftechs are terrible. They're extremely durable and look great, but they're stiffer than a 2x4 and slow. Couldn't get any real speed out of the one I had and turns felt very strange/forced.

    I see your point. I have a 6'10" Yancy Spencer (Boardworks edition - just like surf tech) and I don't have any of these complaints. on the flip side this is a fun shape and it is not meant for high performance but it does ride the barrel well.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Oceanside Ca.
    Posts
    32
    Images
    8
    This would be a fitting end to any Wavestorm.
    Proper tool use.jpg