LOGIN | REGISTER

surf trip advice

March 2014 - Tamarindo Camp or Esterillos Oeste house?

Images
    if you hate crowds avoid tamarindo...nvm just avoid it, there are better less crowed spots in that area i had a great time there though lot of parties going on as well if you down for that.

Crowds... got it, but the Esterillos is 20 Min south of Jaco... so I have a feeling crowds are a given at either place.

I guess I'm just looking for advice for which place would be the best CR experience. First time and I have no clue which accommodations to choose. I can surf, other guys coming are "capable" but still beginners.

Stick with Tamarindo and go to Esterillos when you are with better/dedicated surfers

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Crowds... got it, but the Esterillos is 20 Min south of Jaco... so I have a feeling crowds are a given at either place.

I guess I'm just looking for advice for which place would be the best CR experience. First time and I have no clue which accommodations to choose. I can surf, other guys coming are "capable" but still beginners.
    yeah i mean if there capable take them to grande and stuff first time i went to cr i went to a camp because i had idea what was going on with stuff, second time i figured out about stuff and planned everything way cheaper.

Esterios for sure. Many prime breaks within an hour. plus waterfalls nearby. PLUS, nearest beach from the airport, unless you go to Boca Barranca. You should try to go 2 weeks after Easter for major deals.

Images
    Esterillos....10 minutes south of Hermosa and 15 min south of Jaco. I have a place in Jaco and goto Esterillos when I want to get away from the crowds. Esterillos handles big swells and is a much easier wave than Hermosa. Hermosa is for sure the mac daddy of all waves in Costa Rica and there is 7 miles beach to find your own peak but its MUCH heavier than Esterillos. Esterillos is a wise choice and you can run up to Jaco if you need food and beer. Tamarindo is way crowded, as can be in Jaco. If you do goto Tamarindo, walk across the rivermouth to Playa Grande...better wave and less people.

Pura Vida bro!
    Last edited by imperial; Dec 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

Cr kinda tame...

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    March 2014 - Tamarindo Camp or Esterillos Oeste house?
    GO TO PERU INSTEAD - 3x more surf, one fifth the crowd, many more beaches and much higher quality surf…two teasers here:

!) the land of perfect lefts is just stacked up with quality rights.
    2) experienced peruvians love to tell gringos that chicama isn't even on their top ten list of
    best breaks; which is shocking AND true.

in parting i will mention that if you think you have what it takes pico alto a-frames at 50ft
    (from the back). 13 trips so far under my belt; can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by imperial View Post
    Esterillos....10 minutes south of Hermosa and 15 min south of Jaco. I have a place in Jaco and goto Esterillos when I want to get away from the crowds. Esterillos handles big swells and is a much easier wave than Hermosa. Hermosa is for sure the mac daddy of all waves in Costa Rica and there is 7 miles beach to find your own peak but its MUCH heavier than Esterillos. Esterillos is a wise choice and you can run up to Jaco if you need food and beer. Tamarindo is way crowded, as can be in Jaco. If you do goto Tamarindo, walk across the rivermouth to Playa Grande...better wave and less people.

Pura Vida bro!
    PH is a heavy wave. At the aduana, when asked where we were heading, 9 of 10 times the agent would shake their heads and say, muy peligroso.
    You ever go to Guacalillio? Sweet break. No paddle out if you're bold enough to jump off the cliff.
    The first time I went there without someone who knew how to get there, I missed the right to go up the cliff and ended at the river mouth. Big azz croc sitting right there. I was trying to get it to do something by throwing coconuts at it and noticed a "boardwalk" coming from the jungle to the river, with a ramp that dropped into the water where the croc was waiting. I went up to the ramp to investigate and when the noise from the palm fronds, hitting each other by the wind, stopped, I heard chanting and congas faintly coming from the jungle. I immediately thought, "JUJU!" we looked around until the chanting stopped. As we headed back towards the cliff a tour bus cut us off, and everyone on it was scowling at us. And every house we passed, a person would be standing on the porch giving us stink eye.

I'm going in March too. More than likely staying at the Barcelona langosta beach hotel in tamarindo. This is my first CR trip. Anyone Been to this hotel? Any advice. I will be with my woman who does not surf