LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Va Beach Camping/ Surf

Anybody stay at First Landing State Park in Va Beach? Looks like its a fairly popular spot just reading reviews online (probably a bit too popular once the weather warms up). Very close to any surf spot in va beach/ sandbridge though. My brother and I are from northern virginia and are looking to get back in to surfing after a few landlocked years. Camping and surfing would be a weekend trip. Any input on where to stay is appreciated!

It's all right. My family camped there in tents several years ago. The restroom/shower facilities had been recently renovated. There are also cabins. First Landing SP is at the lower/southern end of Chesapeake Bay and adjacent to Cape Henry and Fort Story. I believe that reservations must be made through the VA State Park WEB site.
    There are also a couple of KOAs in VB, as well as one or two privately run campgrounds off of Sandbridge Road.

Thanks! Ill have to try to find the sandbridge spots. That sounds like it may be a much better location.

Lightbulb Plan b

Quote Originally Posted by washed up nova View Post
    Anybody stay at First Landing State Park in Va Beach? Looks like its a fairly popular spot just reading reviews online (probably a bit too popular once the weather warms up). Very close to any surf spot in va beach/ sandbridge though. My brother and I are from northern virginia and are looking to get back in to surfing after a few landlocked years. Camping and surfing would be a weekend trip. Any input on where to stay is appreciated!
    also give a thought to chincoteague - more swell, less crowd, prob cheaper to camp. beware
    feral cats in maddox campground…also higher tides detrimental to surf. the new visitor center
    is boss especially the pic w/the warden and his birdshot tattoo..

If you have a boat, Cherrystone on the eastern shore. you can boat out to fishermans island.
    1st landing is 5 minutes from the N end of VB but the waves have sucked this year.

False Cape, on the other hand, breaks when nowhere else is. There's wilderness camping and a tram that runs occasionally.

Go further South to Hatteras or North on the Eastern Shore... VB blows... traveling there for surf makes no sense.

Kinda gots to agree with SiS. If you're taking a shot in the dark and planning a camping trip for surf, best bet is down at the cape point in hatteras.

VA breaks like 6 days of the year where it's actually worth paddling out. And that's a good year. So you have better odds of winning the lottery than rolling to the beach randomly and getting on a decent wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Go further South to Hatteras or North on the Eastern Shore... VB blows... traveling there for surf makes no sense.
    I agree with the is X2! Va Beach groups are ridiculous and the surf sucks. 1st street, everyone there thinks they're professional. good luck with that. I would say ES or OBX. I personally have had many good sessions from Chincoteague to Assateague

Images
    Ya dude, I camped there- As far as a camp site- it's awesome! But easiest surf spot is VA beach- which is a good drive.. Plus you gotta go over the super long bridge and you gotta pay each time! If your looking to camp- it's cool I guess...

If you want to surf the KOA just south of va beach is really nice- like updated bathrooms and stuff. If you like rough camping there is a site - i think it's a state camp site? Just at the north tip of va beach.

BUT if you really want the full experience- head straight to Belmar,NJ- best waves on the east coast- perfect for learning plus the crowd is cool!!

#fullexperianceinbelmar

with any luck you can time it right and catch the grand opening of a chic fil a and camp out there. Shoot, that might even land you free chicken for a year. The surf is so-so. Bring your log. Actually, no, I think you meant to ask this about the outer banks, where there are campgrounds and waves.