LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Would you surf?

No. 43 deg water is doable, but it's the 21 deg air that I'd wait out...even without the redonkulous 35 knot wind chill.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Conditions:
    High 21F, low 11F, water 43F, wind 30-35kts offshore, snow, 3+ ft overhead, heavy beach break.
    if the winds stay stable enough , im debating to kitesurf it for a quick session . In a ocean rodeo surf/drysuit , 7mm boots and 5mm gloves , with leaving the truck running .

Images
    Cold+heavy offshore= nope

Images
    The surf would need to have consistently great shape for me to go, none of that here a set there a set bs, and less than 50/50 on close out sets is probably a no go for me too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    The surf would need to have consistently great shape for me to go, none of that here a set there a set bs, and less than 50/50 on close out sets is probably a no go for me too.
    Closing out sections are in the past with an 8 meter kite and surf board in 30 knots of wind . pull a little power into kite and your right around those closeout section . no duck diving , paddling out ,you can take top off a wave as well to unhook and pull in for some shade, plus you can catch a lot more waves on a down winder when kite surfing compared to the normal 3 beach drift . but when the winds die then turn off shore , nothing can beat grabbing the 5'10 or 6'2 and paddling out in clean fun surf . not trying to push kite surfing on you but maybe open up another love of riding waves . An escape with the chance to vent , take it all out on the surf and when you hit the beach afterwards the mind is clear and humble , even if it doesn't last long.

i seen a crazy kitesurfer jump from the ocean to the bay like 200ft above the ground at sandy hook.some crazy shyt.

most of my sessions,il get 50 closeouts and 10 good waves.with beachbreaks comes closeouts.i usually just pull in anyway and pop out the back rather than straightning out and having to duckdive 10 more times.only day in my 12yr surfing have I seen perfect wave after wave none closing out on doomsday last yr.each wave was perfect and makeable at the spot I was.
    Last edited by cepriano; Jan 1, 2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add something

With the right equipment you can go out in damn near anything, but there has to be a point where it's just not worth it. I've never been in those type of conditions so I can't say for sure, but i'd like to think I would go out if given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    NJShredmachine would go.
    LOL!!! There's a SwellInfo bumper sticker for you and Fitz should get a cut!

No way in hell would I surf that!!!

Even with the baddest of wetsuits it would still be too cold.

Whenever I surf and its extremely cold my surfing abilities are greatly hindered. I just don't move the same. All my movements are rigid and choppy and my body overall just doesn't flow when I'm that cold. Then once hyperthermia starts setting in everything feels like its in slow motion. Then there's the fact of frozen feet. Once my feet get numb from the cold its like trying to surf with Cerebral Palsy!

I'll say it over and over........ I just don't know how you Yanks surf up there in the cold! You're definitely hardcore!

Images
    I didn't buy a new 6/5 for nothing. If your not out there then why do you surf????