LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Katharine (Great White ) Crusing East Coast

http://www.ocearch.org/profile/katharine/
    If you want to track the progress.
    She was right offshore where we surfed Sunday. The ping is where the fin broke the surface.
    Who knows where the shark is when underwater!!!

These sharks love the Carolina's and Cape cod/RI parts.

Images
    I'll tell you I never cared about sharks and still don't. But, every year I see more and more seals on the east coast, something I never thought I would see when I was a kid. Yesterday there were two swimming around me in OCMD, just makes you think.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I'll tell you I never cared about sharks and still don't. But, every year I see more and more seals on the east coast, something I never thought I would see when I was a kid. Yesterday there were two swimming around me in OCMD, just makes you think.
    There are like 80 or so seals in Sandy Hook NJ now and Barnegat inlet has a bunch that chill by deep water drop offs (the sod banks).
    Monday morning I definitely saw a whitey aggressively chasing something 100ft in front of me. There was about 5ft between the dorsal and tail. I figured it was preoccupied so I kept on surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    There are like 80 or so seals in Sandy Hook NJ now and Barnegat inlet has a bunch that chill by deep water drop offs (the sod banks).
    Monday morning I definitely saw a whitey aggressively chasing something 100ft in front of me. There was about 5ft between the dorsal and tail. I figured it was preoccupied so I kept on surfing.
    I woulda been done after that. you're better than I am

It may have been a white, but the water is cold for them this time of year... What would be scary is if the seals stuck around in the summer (ie. cape cod)
    White's generally don't hang in water under mid 50's.

There were seals hanging at an island part of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel this summer.

Images
    i think these seals might be able to migrate down to sc our water temps seem ideal for the seals. the great whites love our coast!!

Theres more seals cause humans are killing all the sharks. So inevitably the food they eat is gonna have a population spike.

And in regards to nynj's comment, yeah you can tell yourself they dont like the cold water, but having grown up in the red triangle of california, you sir are very wrong. The water in northern california never really gets above mid 50's and they love it there. But i understand we tell ourselves things to make us feel better. Hell i used to not eat fish so that i wouldn't have any shark food in my system, in the hopes they'd choose they guy next to me who just chowed down plate after plate of sushi rolls! haha

Couple reasons why you are wrong.
    1st - Most sharks do not eat seals. Whites do and people are not killing them (endangered). The White shark population has been growing over the last 20 years, so your theory is incorrect.

2nd - Northern Cali water temps don't get above the 50's, but they get below the 50's either. Keeping them in the temp range for whites year round. We are in the low 40's and will be 30's soon. Much colder than where the sharks hang out... Look at the Ocearch tracker. Why do you think the sharks leave Cape Cod every November and head south? You can actually look at every shark they have tagged all over the world. I bet you they are all in water temp from 50's-70's 99% of the time.
    I'm not saying a shark won't come around when the water is this cold, but t is extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by leetymike808 View Post
    Theres more seals cause humans are killing all the sharks. So inevitably the food they eat is gonna have a population spike.

And in regards to nynj's comment, yeah you can tell yourself they dont like the cold water, but having grown up in the red triangle of california, you sir are very wrong. The water in northern california never really gets above mid 50's and they love it there. But i understand we tell ourselves things to make us feel better. Hell i used to not eat fish so that i wouldn't have any shark food in my system, in the hopes they'd choose they guy next to me who just chowed down plate after plate of sushi rolls! haha