LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Ricky Carroll and Tom Neilsen both make excellent LBs
    Thanks JTS, i'm familiar with Nielsen and Ricky Carroll, but never ridden one of their shapes, do you own boards by either?

First off, yes Ricky Carroll is a top notch master shaper,

however.....

I'm sure you have heard of Orion Surfboards, Greg Geiselman (father of Eric and Evan Geiselman) owns Orion Surfboards and is also a top notch master shaper. All of Greg's boards are always on the cutting edge of what's new and what works best. He has a great advantage of having two of the most progressive and aggressive surfers to test and give him feedback of whatever he shapes.

What his actual talent though is shaping longboards. Shaping longboards is where he got his start and he does a damn fine job!

I have seen a lot of boards come out of his shop and the longboards are just sick pieces of fine art!

I couldn't recommend a better shaper! I'm sorry I can't diss Ricky Carroll though. RC is also a master shaper and does some very fine work as well.

Nielsen's not bad, Charlie Baldwin too (CB's are actually shaped in Greg's shop)

Its really going to boil down to your personal preference but that's my two cents.

I have an 8 ft while more of a fun shape it's still a good option it's about 8 years old but it's still in good shape other than a few pressure dings.

Chris Birch in Brevard. I have his mini-chauffer and I love it

http://www.mayosurfboards.com/

Mayo Softail is a thing of a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Thanks JTS, i'm familiar with Nielsen and Ricky Carroll, but never ridden one of their shapes, do you own boards by either?
    Not currently - I have in the past. The RC I had was an outstanding board, I will probably get another from him sometime in the next year.

What type of LB are you looking for ? A trim and glide log type, something a little more all around swiss army knife type or a more rockered out HP LB? Some of these guys stand out more in 1 area than another. Might help you decide who to go with
    Good Luck - post a pic when you get it
    Jim
    Last edited by JTS; Jan 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    First off, yes Ricky Carroll is a top notch master shaper,

however.....

I'm sure you have heard of Orion Surfboards, Greg Geiselman (father of Eric and Evan Geiselman) owns Orion Surfboards and is also a top notch master shaper. All of Greg's boards are always on the cutting edge of what's new and what works best. He has a great advantage of having two of the most progressive and aggressive surfers to test and give him feedback of whatever he shapes.

What his actual talent though is shaping longboards. Shaping longboards is where he got his start and he does a damn fine job!

I have seen a lot of boards come out of his shop and the longboards are just sick pieces of fine art!

I couldn't recommend a better shaper! I'm sorry I can't diss Ricky Carroll though. RC is also a master shaper and does some very fine work as well.

Nielsen's not bad, Charlie Baldwin too (CB's are actually shaped in Greg's shop)

Its really going to boil down to your personal preference but that's my two cents.
    WaveHog, my Rookie of the year! I appreciate the feedback, was hoping you might chime in. Yeah, I've read a lot of good stuff about Mr. Geiselman, but never talked to anybody or met anybody who rides one of his LB's. Is he located around NSB?

Quote Originally Posted by antoine View Post
    I have an 8 ft while more of a fun shape it's still a good option it's about 8 years old but it's still in good shape other than a few pressure dings.
    Thanks for the offer Antoine. I have a 8'1" McTavish 8 Ball that i've been riding as a single fin for a while now and been lovin it, but she's starting to take damage after 4+ years of abuse and I want a 9' regulation size log. I'll be keeping the McTavish, but having the log will preserve it's life a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Chris Birch in Brevard. I have his mini-chauffer and I love it
    Saw his stuff online, looks pretty nice, the mini-chauffer is like 8ft right? Or did you get yours longer?

Quote Originally Posted by mizrachi View Post
    http://www.mayosurfboards.com/

Mayo Softail is a thing of a beauty.
    Thanks for the link, checked em out, looks like he's got a few shapes I like, that performance LB looks really nice