LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with the right shaper

Hello Community,<br />I'm looking to get a new board for the summer waves in OCNJ (on the south side) and was wondering if I should choose a specific shaper. I'm looking into Wynn, Heritage, and maybe just getting an off-the-rack Bing Dharma or something like that. I'm 5'4\", 100ish pounds, and I have a 5'10\" Tuflite Flyer (if you needed to know that). I'm open to ANY suggestions on shaper or dims or even the right board!<br />'ppreciate the help

Find a good local shaper. Go down to the ol' surf shop or two and ask around and find out who does the best work.

A good local shaper will be able to shape you a board that should fit like a glove! Height and weight is only part of the equation. Let him know honestly your surfing abilities, where you surf, what your intentions are etc.... It really makes a big difference and you will be a lot more satisfied riding a good local custom shape instead of buying an over-priced, west coast, board of the month that Dane Reynolds endorsed, which most likely will be the furthest thing from your surfing abilities of functionality.

Images
    There's a ton of really good local shapers but if you want to stay in NJ please check out Essence Surf. They tutored a guy who made me a copy of the 5-10 hypto krypto and it came out great. I like it in all conditions from knee to head high. Im so happy with it, this spring im asking them to do a 5-6, 19.5, 2.5 version. Plus you could drive to them and pick up your board or talk with Gene and really get it dialed in.

I think he's in Florida...

Nonetheless there are a handful of really good shapers down here to choose from. Pretty much boils down to personal preference and I maybe who is close by his home break.

Images
    Whoops...like rick cane when it starts raining. Saw ocnj and figured it meant ocean city NJ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Southsidesurfer View Post
    Hello Community,<br />I'm looking to get a new board for the summer waves in OCNJ (on the south side) and was wondering if I should choose a specific shaper. I'm looking into Wynn, Heritage, and maybe just getting an off-the-rack Bing Dharma or something like that. I'm 5'4\", 100ish pounds, and I have a 5'10\" Tuflite Flyer (if you needed to know that). I'm open to ANY suggestions on shaper or dims or even the right board!<br />'ppreciate the help
    I realize your in OC and Jackson, NJ is pretty far from there but I just recently got a board from a guy named Kevin Rider. He'll basically do what ever you want. His brand is Surfboards By Rider and website is surfboardsbyrider.com His contact information is all on his website. Hoped I helped.

If you are in Ocean City NJ you really shouldn't be looking anywhere but Brian Wynn. He's right over the bridge. That's a no brainer. He can shape whatever you want.

Cool stuff. @fam0612 do u know if rider ships? Seems like nice boards. I think I'll be going between him and good ol' mr. Wynn.

Images
    Just check out essence surf. Their boards are works of art aesthetically and they will build you a board to progress your abilities. And its way better than paying 5-700 bills for a surf shop board. http://www.essencesurf.com/

Images
    I'm not 100% sure of he ships, I could always find out for you.