LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by windswellsucks View Post
    make sure you got a warm suit with no leaks/tears! also earplugs like EQSeals are a good idea
    True that on no tears/leaks. Those will give you burns on the skin that you won't so much notice til you're home. Not the best for the epidermis. The ear plugs are a smart idea with surfer's ear looming.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder44 View Post
    Put your suit on at home
    Put on towel on your seat
    Rash guard or under armor under the suit actually helps
    Vaseline your face if that doesn't bother you
    Second this. Don't over think it. Towel on the seat is fine, and spend as little time as possible standing outside your car securing boards, etc. despite the great feeling you get from the people walking by saying "YOU'RE NUTS". No need to keep the car running while you're in the water. It will warm up fast if you drove it 1/2hr on the way to the break.

Once home, the booties come off in the garage then I walk straight into the shower to remove the wetty. Once the suit is off (this happens to be the hardest part of the whole experience), shower ensues and bliss is achieved. After that, lots hearty breakfast foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarder44 View Post
    Put your suit on at home
    this is the most valuable piece of advice on here. changing on the street in those conditions is foolhardy & dangerous & a quick way to chill yourself down before even getting in the water. after you surf, drive straight home in your suit & walk right into the shower & take your suit off there.
    the vaseline idea is a good one as well.

Thumbs down no no no - no vaseline

Quote Originally Posted by highvelocity View Post
    I have time to get wet Friday but have never been in the water when it was 15 degrees out and 20 mph winds. Water is still real warm. Any advice tips words of encouragement or most likely discouragement. I usally change into my suit when i get to the beach and change outside when I'm done. I will most likely have my suit on before I get there surf a couple leave my truck on and get plastic rap for my seats for the ride home. I figure I should be pretty warm like this.
    i suppose it works but its THE LAST THING you want on the deck of your board..

Images
    its really not that bad... I mean it can be cold, but I wouldn't worry too much. if you got a new suit that does not leak, you will be fine. really.
    the worst is changing in and out of your suit. change in your truck, or just drive with it on. if you drive with it on- put a contractor trash bag on your seat and then a towel. also if you drive far- there will be a lot of drips on your floor. but you will be warm...

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    i suppose it works but its THE LAST THING you want on the deck of your board..
    you just put it on your face...cheeks & lips...so they don't freeze in the wind. if your face is contacting the deck of your board, well, i think you've got bigger worries.

Quote Originally Posted by highvelocity View Post
    I have time to get wet Friday but have never been in the water when it was 15 degrees out and 20 mph winds. Water is still real warm. Any advice tips words of encouragement or most likely discouragement. I usally change into my suit when i get to the beach and change outside when I'm done. I will most likely have my suit on before I get there surf a couple leave my truck on and get plastic rap for my seats for the ride home. I figure I should be pretty warm like this.
    Honestly if you have never surfed in these conditions, tomorrow will probably not be the day to start.
    There's a gale warning and it will probably be 8-10 foot. It will be quite challenging surfing tomorrow.
    The water is about 42 degrees. That is real warm?

I know people that use Vaseline, but I never do. Not because of fear of getting it on my board. Just because I don't like that greasy crap on my face

Isnt the story with vaseline about being bad for wetsuits? its causes the material to dissolve over a short time?

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    you just put it on your face...cheeks & lips...so they don't freeze in the wind. if your face is contacting the deck of your board, well, i think you've got bigger worries.
    I agree. Was he thinking about a situation where you'd have vaseline on your arse that could transfer to the board while sitting? If so, that's gross.