Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Frustrated with my boards; need small wave board

After this weekend's sessions I've come to the conclusion that I need to find a better small/mush wave board. Anything past waist/chest high I have my Cosmic Bull 7'2" quad or 6'5" hybrid fish, both are awesome if the waves have some juice. I got the quad thinking a bigger/wider board would be best for small waves but it needs more height/angle to lock in and get speed. It's awesome on big waves, sucks on knee-waist slop.

What should I be looking for? I'm thinking a slug or egg shape? I'm not ready to go full long board yet even though I'm getting old (37) I'm 6'2 180 lbs, been surfing for 20 years.

I had a friend who has a 6'8" Hobie slug that catches everything, though not very maneuverable.
    Bing Dharma looks cool but I want to stay away from quads I think.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by donalddemon View Post
    After this weekend's sessions I've come to the conclusion that I need to find a better small/mush wave board. Anything past waist/chest high I have my Cosmic Bull 7'2" quad or 6'5" hybrid fish, both are awesome if the waves have some juice. I got the quad thinking a bigger/wider board would be best for small waves but it needs more height/angle to lock in and get speed. It's awesome on big waves, sucks on knee-waist slop.

What should I be looking for? I'm thinking a slug or egg shape? I'm not ready to go full long board yet even though I'm getting old (37) I'm 6'2 180 lbs, been surfing for 20 years.

I had a friend who has a 6'8" Hobie slug that catches everything, though not very maneuverable.
    ???
    Gordon & Smith makes a great egg; I got one custom made this year 7'10. Go to their site and take a look.
    I like mine a lot, had 5 fins put in for variability. One mistake I made....should have had it made as 7'6.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Gordon & Smith makes a great egg; I got one custom made this year 7'10. Go to their site and take a look.
    I like mine a lot, had 5 fins put in for variability. One mistake I made....should have had it made as 7'6.
    G&S makes quality, no doubt but spensive as all hell. Did you get the Magic Egg? Why do you wish it was shorter? I'd like to stay under 7'2" so I can fit it in my car.

G&S makes quality, no doubt but spensive as all hell. Did you get the Magic Egg? Why do you wish it was shorter? I'd like to stay under 7'2" so I can fit it in my car.
    Shorter simply because I am accustomed to that size. They have an Egg model, and a Magic model--they used to be separate models/boards. But they do now have a Magic Egg as well, I see.. Many confuse the Magic as an egg, because they to make the Magic with a rounded tail, if requested. I do have one of each--the Magic is great when the waves get larger around here; perfect board for the area. I have owned the Magic for about 12 years now; it is my favorite all time board (I have been surfing since 1961) after all the boards I have owned!! And yes--G&S are not cheap, but you get exactly what you ask for in a custom board. I also have a Competition RT longbaord from G&S. I guess we can say they are my favorite brand.
    Last edited by Barry Cuda; Nov 24, 2015 at 03:31 PM.

37 old? Sheesh! Guy we witnessed in CR last winter on a 6'4" CI Fred Rubble straight off the rack. 71 year old retired LA county life guard. Dude still swims miles at a time in the ocean. For fun. And he was getting bombs at Ollies Point. There is hope. Had a 7" G&S egg tri fin in the late eighties and it was super fun, think it was the Magic Egg if I'm not mistaken. Flat and soft w/ glass on fins. That shorter Slug is OK but looks to be handful when the surf is thumping though.

get a 6-2 full on fish (not hybrid) or a long board

fun shapes and eggs are not really that fun in small surf imho

6'4x22x2.75 fish
    Bonzer fin set up with a roy stuart center fin & no leash plug.

Images
    Dude- just pony up and get a longboard.

Your never too young...

I realize that there are those days when it's waist hi and you can have a lot of fun on a small wave board- but for the most part, when it's small in nj it's hard to get it just right for that board.

When it's small and I paddle out on the longboard- I usually catch at least 3 waves to a short boarders 1 wave. And I don't paddle around, I wil give them priority but it's just the way it goes...

Anyways- I'm probably the only one on here who would say that- but I have 10x more fun and waves on a longboard of the waves are tiny.

???
    look up a reputable local shaper and tell him this and nothing more. write a check, and walk away. you'll end up with a great board for your local conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cuda View Post
    Shorter simply because I am accustomed to that size. They have an Egg model, and a Magic model--they used to be separate models/boards. But they do now have a Magic Egg as well, I see.. Many confuse the Magic as an egg, because they to make the Magic with a rounded tail, if requested. I do have one of each--the Magic is great when the waves get larger around here; perfect board for the area. I have owned the Magic for about 12 years now; it is my favorite all time board (I have been surfing since 1961) after all the boards I have owned!! And yes--G&S are not cheap, but you get exactly what you ask for in a custom board. I also have a Competition RT longbaord from G&S. I guess we can say they are my favorite brand.
    Sweet, I have ridden a few G&S and they are definitely great boards.

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    37 old? Sheesh! Guy we witnessed in CR last winter on a 6'4" CI Fred Rubble straight off the rack. 71 year old retired LA county life guard. Dude still swims miles at a time in the ocean. For fun. And he was getting bombs at Ollies Point. There is hope. Had a 7" G&S egg tri fin in the late eighties and it was super fun, think it was the Magic Egg if I'm not mistaken. Flat and soft w/ glass on fins. That shorter Slug is OK but looks to be handful when the surf is thumping though.
    Ha, old enough that I can't surf like I did in my 20's! Sitting at a desk job isn't helping either I only want this board for small, weak waves.

Quote Originally Posted by metard View Post
    get a 6-2 full on fish (not hybrid) or a long board

fun shapes and eggs are not really that fun in small surf imho
    Quote Originally Posted by ScobeyviIIe View Post
    6'4x22x2.75 fish
    Bonzer fin set up with a roy stuart center fin & no leash plug.
    I always thought full old school fish would be best since I don't like riding longboards but never sure if it's enough on a 2' weak day. People generally ride them small, I guess I would ride around 6'0"?