LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jet Blue Bag Fee's and JFK Airport

A while back I posted a question about Jet Blue's policy on only allowing 1 surfboard per bag and if they really enforce it and tips to get around it. So here is an update. I was flying to PR for 2 months Jan-March (been here for 2 days so far epic) so naturally I need more than just 1 board. I decided to take 3 all 6'2's. I got a lot of good advice here on SI about how to pack them so they don't charge me extra or not let me take them all. So what I did was wrapped all of them in bubble wrap and then wrapped that with brown packing paper, (like a Christmas gift). I then rolled up to the airport (JFK) at 4:30 am for a 5:40am flight. I figured I would check all my bags at curbside because I could tip them and they wouldn't break my balls about the Jet Blue policy. I WAS WRONG. The very second I got to the counter the very large lesbian woman asked immediately how many boards were in the bag. I confidently said 1. She said "you know I'm gonna have to check right?" At this point I pretty much have nothing to lose and said go right ahead. When she unzipped the bag and saw what looked like an Egyptian mummy she started grabbing at the sides and yelling "it doesn't feel like 1 board" So I calmly said the board is in the middle sandwiched by two blanks that weren't surfboards yet. She then became enraged and told me she surfs and knows what surfboards look and feel like. This is when I got angry not because of the bags but because there was no way that this fat piece of sh#t surfs. Some shouting ensued and she refused to take any of the bags and said I had to go to Jet Blue and deal with them. So I grabbed everything went inside to the Jet Blue check in counter the guy at the counter asked me what was in the bag I told him a cello and he slapped a tag on it and didn't charge extra or even question. My boards arrived here with no damage and best of all I didn't get tasered at any point.

Sorry this is kinda long but hope it helps someone in the future. (that's what she said)

Good story. I fly JB a lot and typically bring a board back from SD if I didn't bring one there. $50 per "board" (bag) is not a bad fee and I've not had damage issues with them...yet. A few times I've been able to pack two boards in a coffin case and got away with paying for one.

Nice work on the cello line. Did you still have to pay for oversized luggage?

No, it counted as one of my checked bags. I think the guy was half asleep.

I also would like to note if you're ever wondering when NJ will get a solid swell just ask me when I am going away it never fails, just checked the OCNJ cam and got a little sick.

Good to know, thanks for posting that story = info. I'm headed to PR in April, likely w boards. Usually fly AA, where they don't say boo (usually go biz/first, which helps turn back the fee gestapo); this will be my first trek on JB.

Maybe you should have brought a box of donuts for mizz large & in charge...
    Last edited by yankee; Jan 3, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

6. You should file a complaint against that *****, poor customer service. Regardless awesome story good to know

^^^ what wasteland said.

the curbside check in peeps are definitely less likely to check, but shouting at someone is a sure way to screw yourself. was it a giant coffin style bag? those tend to make check-in agents suspicious. the slimfit daybag style travel bags attract less attention.

The bag is a 7ft soft wheelie which holds up to 4 boards, and literally the first question she asked was how many boards were in the bag, I didn't start yelling or arguing until after she said she wouldn't take them and what really set me off was when she told me she surfed. I thought of all the beatings I've taken in the winter and times I've been caught inside of big days on trips I've I taken and hearing this morbidly obese woman claim she surfs too really struck a nerve.

I've never had a problem with jet blue... like them so much i got an amex through them.. every time i was either charged one board.... twice i was lucky enough for them to even count it as a reg bag. it all who you get at the front... be friendly and hopefully they'll return the favor. Haven't had much luck with AA.. thats a whole diff story

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    the curbside check in peeps are definitely less likely to check, but shouting at someone is a sure way to screw yourself. was it a giant coffin style bag? those tend to make check-in agents suspicious. the slimfit daybag style travel bags attract less attention.
    Truth. The times I've got two sticks through for the price of one it was in a day bag.

yankee you're stoked to be in premier seating because doesn't AA charge coach passengers $100/segment for a board? JB is $50 but they don't have biz or first. Just "extra leg room" which is an effing racket.
    Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Jan 4, 2014 at 09:43 PM.