LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Southern Hospitality

Okay, so the waves down here have been crap lately and I am still adapting to the South, since I am living here now as a Native Marylander by way of San Diego....

This morning, my neighbor shot 2 wild boars on his property, butchered them down, brought them to my restaurant and I had our chef dry rub and then slow roast the ribs and tenderloins. On my way to his house on the water for a Clemson BBQ and low country party... Complete with moonshine.... yes, PBJ, moonshine, mason jars and all.

It's different down here, but g** dam*it, its pretty beautiful.

sounds pretty fun compared to fish tacos and Corona's.

Gotta love the Low Country, I know I sure did during my time there.

Images
    Southeast is like nowhere else.. being from Georgia southern hospitality is a major part of our lives. Its pretty much unspoken around here.. its just how you are supposed to act and it feels good to be treated and treat people the right way.. although the waves are sucking hard right now i wouldnt wanna live anywhere else!
    Last edited by GeorgiaSurfer; Jan 4, 2014 at 03:05 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSurfer View Post
    Southeast is like nowhere else.. being from Georgia southern hospitality is a major part of our lives. Its pretty much unspoken around here.. its just how you are supposed to act and it feels good to be treated and treat people the right way.. although the waves are sucking hard right now i wouldnt wanna live anywhere else!
    really? been here in SE NC for 10+ years and hadn't noticed, tbh. but the OP nailed it - the South's contribution to the culinary arts is the pork barbeque, to be sure. otherwise, the local cuisine is atrocious.
    upon moving to the Stroke Belt, the first thing you learn is to avoid any eatery that features country/mom's/ granny's/home cooking or any variation thereof.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    really? been here in SE NC for 10+ years and hadn't noticed, tbh. but the OP nailed it - the South's contribution to the culinary arts is the pork barbeque, to be sure. otherwise, the local cuisine is atrocious.
    upon moving to the Stroke Belt, the first thing you learn is to avoid any eatery that features country/mom's/ granny's/home cooking or any variation thereof.
    I dont know how it is in other states.. i just know how it is where i live in savannah georgia..

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSurfer View Post
    I dont know how it is in other states.. i just know how it is where i live in savannah georgia..
    I've experienced what you're talking about, but "southern hospitality" is not limited to the SE or southern portion of the US. One can find it all over the US - even in the cities and other countries. I've experienced this in my travels and over the course of my life. Be friendly, treat people with respect, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't be too quick to judge others - especially if you're the stranger. The old Golden Rule still applies. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were in Australia, the Midwest US, California, and even Wash. DC. The Brits and Filipinos I've met were nice folks too.
    Last edited by DosXX; Jan 4, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    I've experienced what you're talking about, but "southern hospitality" is not limited to the SE or southern portion of the US. One can find it all over the US - even in the cities and other countries. I've experienced this in my travels and over the course of my life. Be friendly, treat people with respect, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't be too quick to judge others - especially if you're the stranger. The old Golden Rule still applies. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were in Australia, the Midwest US, California, and even Wash. DC. The Brits and Filipinos I've met were nice folks too.
    +1 - hospitality is where you find it and certainly the South is not unique in that respect. add Brazilians to that list (as long as you're not paddling for the same wave).

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Well said. Also, and some may disagree, the French. I know, I know, the stereotypical they-hate-Americans rude Frog cliches. I didn't get that at all when I surfed in Hossegor & Biarritz & Hendaye. Seems to me that you get back what you put out, a la The Golden Rule.

I realize that I may have just jeopardized my rep here.

OK, back to hating the woodchuck troll posse & the Maine latex rapist & the van-driving, hayzeus-belching wascally wabbit wayne the insane.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    Come to Charleston. Our cuisine is on the top of many culinary lists. Many of our chefs end up ranked among the best in the nation. I have been to NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago, but I still think the low country could rank up there with the best foodie areas.

I know of a kid locked up 2 years for drinking moonshine out of a mason jar in a parking lot at Phish in Alphretta. Is that southern hospitality?