LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I think half of the population of New Jersey, New York and Michigan are in Florida. There is no more Southern hospitality down here, nope it's all attitude now.

We get by on grouper and stone crab down here. How far south do you want to talk. South, south Fl, south America?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post
    I know of a kid locked up 2 years for drinking moonshine out of a mason jar in a parking lot at Phish in Alphretta. Is that southern hospitality?
    Dude, everyone knows that Phish show parking lot circuses are like shooting fish in a barrel for cops. That kid was obviously an idiot and needed to be removed from society for a bit.

Phish sucks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    I think half of the population of New Jersey, New York and Michigan are in Florida. There is no more Southern hospitality down here, nope it's all attitude now.
    I believe that. It's kind of a bummer.

The last time I was in Fla. I went fishing. We met a nice couple in the lobby as we were about to go fish, they gave us a ride to the tackle shop (10 min) and offered to pick us up when we were done!! I wanted to rent a rod (I know that's uncommon) and the guys at the tackle shop just loaned me one of theirs!! When we were done fishing we met a younger fella back at the tackle shop and he offered us a ride back to the hotel, we took it!!! We made him stop at the liquor store because he wouldn't take money. We pretended it was for us, but the dude wound up with a 12 of his favorite beer.

I never met any of these people nor did they know of me in any way. This would never happen in NJ and why I appreciate southern hospitality.

Ps not my only good southern experience btw. I've been down that way a few times.
    Last edited by Doug; Jan 4, 2014 at 01:00 PM.

Images
    Doug your right, when I wrote that I did make it sound like everyone down here had attitude, but that's not true, a true southerner like myself, is still very respective and that will never change. There is still southern hospitality but sometimes you have to flee the bigger cities to find it...just like anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    really? been here in SE NC for 10+ years and hadn't noticed, tbh. but the OP nailed it - the South's contribution to the culinary arts is the pork barbeque, to be sure. otherwise, the local cuisine is atrocious.
    upon moving to the Stroke Belt, the first thing you learn is to avoid any eatery that features country/mom's/ granny's/home cooking or any variation thereof.
    Come to Charleston. Our cuisine is on the top of many culinary lists. Many of our chefs end up ranked among the best in the nation. I have been to NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago, but I still think the low country could rank up there with the best foodie areas.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSurfer View Post
    I dont know how it is in other states.. i just know how it is where i live in savannah georgia..
    I've experienced what you're talking about, but "southern hospitality" is not limited to the SE or southern portion of the US. One can find it all over the US - even in the cities and other countries. I've experienced this in my travels and over the course of my life. Be friendly, treat people with respect, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't be too quick to judge others - especially if you're the stranger. The old Golden Rule still applies. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were in Australia, the Midwest US, California, and even Wash. DC. The Brits and Filipinos I've met were nice folks too.
    Last edited by DosXX; Jan 4, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    I've experienced what you're talking about, but "southern hospitality" is not limited to the SE or southern portion of the US. One can find it all over the US - even in the cities and other countries. I've experienced this in my travels and over the course of my life. Be friendly, treat people with respect, and give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't be too quick to judge others - especially if you're the stranger. The old Golden Rule still applies. Some of the nicest folks I've ever met were in Australia, the Midwest US, California, and even Wash. DC. The Brits and Filipinos I've met were nice folks too.
    +1 - hospitality is where you find it and certainly the South is not unique in that respect. add Brazilians to that list (as long as you're not paddling for the same wave).

Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Well said. Also, and some may disagree, the French. I know, I know, the stereotypical they-hate-Americans rude Frog cliches. I didn't get that at all when I surfed in Hossegor & Biarritz & Hendaye. Seems to me that you get back what you put out, a la The Golden Rule.

I realize that I may have just jeopardized my rep here.

OK, back to hating the woodchuck troll posse & the Maine latex rapist & the van-driving, hayzeus-belching wascally wabbit wayne the insane.