LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DosXX View Post
    Come on. How bad could it be?
    http://www.pqmonthly.com/wp-content/...3/fatyoga3.jpg

It could very likely be just the opposite. Very distracting
    This is EXACTLY what I was picturing when thinking of these free yoga classes. It could definitely swing pretty hard either way. . . I'll test the waters and report back this weekend.

Images
    Yoga and meditation? Do it! I learned the benefits of meditation in my early teens, I'm just scratching the surface with yoga. I need to practice both daily even though I don't (daily). One of the places my mother teaches yoga is the YMCA btw, and she is legit. I can't speak for every instructor though.

Zach, your missing out.

Images
    Yoga has helped my surfing tremendously. It strengthens your back and especially your core muscles. It also keeps you limber and builds strength. Surfing is meditation for me as well, but I would like to try to do at least 20 minutes a day at home.

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    I'm actually reading that biography on Steve Jobs, and he was a serious meditator, avid LSD user, and yoga master. Kinda got me back on track with trying to figure out meditation and yoga.
    What, you're not interested in learning more about LSD?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    What, you're not interested in learning more about LSD?
    He swears by it. Said it was one of his most life altering experiences. Don't know if I'm trying to watch the world de materialize in front of my eyes, but it worked for him I guess.

But on the topic of meditation, does anyone have any techniques, or styles they recommend. I'm not really sure of the specifics because again, I really don't know much about it, but there must be different ways to do it. I've heard of counting breaths, thinking of just one activity or "thing", and one of my buddies said something about looking at an item and examining every minute detail of that item.

There are a bunch of great Buddhism and Zen books out there that you'd enjoy reading. Would be helpful for this pursuit of mindfulness.

Have not tried yoga but I do train in Taekwondo and Hapkido and practice meditation at each class. Great way to refresh your mind .

Quote Originally Posted by 34thStreetSurfing View Post
    He swears by it. Said it was one of his most life altering experiences. Don't know if I'm trying to watch the world de materialize in front of my eyes, but it worked for him I guess.

But on the topic of meditation, does anyone have any techniques, or styles they recommend. I'm not really sure of the specifics because again, I really don't know much about it, but there must be different ways to do it. I've heard of counting breaths, thinking of just one activity or "thing", and one of my buddies said something about looking at an item and examining every minute detail of that item.
    I got introduced to the teaching of a Zen Buddhist named Thich Nat Hahn bout 8 years ago. you can find numerous books by him at Barnes and Noble. I found his teachings to be not so complicated and easy for a beginner to pick up without going to some meditation class.

BTW don't go to any kind of group meditation class. you don't know what kind of energy others might bring. Meditation is meant to be done alone and is a personal experience.

If you find advancement through the basics of meditation and continue on into more advanced practices(like Kundalini Yoga), than the universe is unlimited and anything is possible, without the use of psychedelics. I've had more than my fair share of LSD and Fungus when I was younger, and can honestly say I get higher through meditation.

Starchy this is the best thing I've ever seen from you. Essential Writings and Miracle of Mindfulness are two books from him that have amazing stuff. I read a ton of Zen in the mid-2000s. This thread is getting me back into it.

Meditation, Zen, martial arts (including T'ai Chi), and yoga are good practices for dealing with and reducing stress, anxiety, worry, and anger. All involve mindfulness and living in the moment. Also, they can be beneficial supplements to surfing. I too have read some of TNH's material.
    Don't need the mind-altering substances. Killed enough brain cells with beer and other forms of alcohol in my younger days.