LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today

Images

Today

Went out today and caught some semi clean waist to head high waves today and had a lot of fun. That is until after about 30 something minutes i couldnt feel my feet or fingers anymore and had to get out and warm up. Im thinking that only having a 3/2 on and no booties, gloves, ect. wasnt the best idea, especially for around 50ish degree water in 40ish degree air. I would have a 4/3 on and booties but of course both of those got back ordered weeks ago. Both should be here in a couple of weeks. So how was everyone elses surf today? When do you switch from a 3/2 to a 4/3 and so on? When do you start wearing booties, gloves, and hood?
    Last edited by GeorgiaSurfer; Jan 5, 2014 at 07:13 PM.

according to most sources, the water down there is currently 54 deg...still definitely in booty range, even if the air was warm
    Last edited by waterbaby; Jan 5, 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    according to most sources, the water down there is 56 deg...borderline for booties, even if the air was warm
    I can tell you it was not 56, a cold front just left, its not anything higher than low 50's.. all the sources ive seen besides magicseaweed have said from 47-52

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    according to most sources, the water down there is 56 deg...borderline for booties, even if the air was warm
    I can tell you it was not 56, a cold front just left, its not anything higher than low 50's.. all the sources ive seen besides magicseaweed have said from 47-52, but yes my feet were freezing either way haha ireally hope my botties come soon.
    Last edited by GeorgiaSurfer; Jan 5, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaSurfer View Post
    I can tell you it was not 56, a cold front just left, its not anything higher than low 50's.. all the sources ive seen besides magicseaweed have said from 47-52, but yes my feet were freezing either way haha ireally hope my botties come soon.
    Our water temp is 52F, so I would expect yours to be closer to 54 or 55. I don't like wearing booties, but once the water hits 50F I will have to use them. I will never use gloves down here. I also use a 4/3 in winter. I think a warmer core helps cold tolerance when your feet and hands are exposed.

Yeah,we got pretty killed today. But lots of the better surfers were getting fun rides on @5' , occasional 6'. Water was about 68, cold for a Floridian

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Our water temp is 52F, so I would expect yours to be closer to 54 or 55. I don't like wearing booties, but once the water hits 50F I will have to use them. I will never use gloves down here. I also use a 4/3 in winter. I think a warmer core helps cold tolerance when your feet and hands are exposed.
    52? Dang i guess i was off a little. Sorry waterbaby. So do you not trust what the temp says on here/local paper? Swellinfo said 47 and the paper my family gets said 49-52 as an average temperature.
    I would think the same thing about what you said about a warmer core would help cold tolerance for your hands and feet, but dang my hands and feet were so stiff, i could barely move my fingers/toes. I cant wait until my new suit comes along with my booties.

Betty, glad you scored but no one likes a braggart. Were there any wores on the beach today? Both Hindu and non.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Yeah,we got pretty killed today. But lots of the better surfers were getting fun rides on @5' , occasional 6'. Water was about 68, cold for a Floridian
    Sounds fun! i love surfing in florida. Ive been to Jax (Pier and Poles), Flagler, and Cocoa. Where are you surfing at?

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    I think a colder cold tolerance helps keep your hands and feet "warm". In other words, keeping your house's thermostat down to 65 (or less) helps you acclimate to winter temps and eases the shock when you get in the water. Surfing more often (or at least dunking yourself in cold water) or doing anything in cold temps without being over clothed, also gets your core down and keeps you acclimated enough to be able to wear less neoprene.