LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Radiation in the water!

This is crazy! As jealous as I am at times of the more consistent west coast, I surely am not jealous of this.

http://banoosh.com/blog/2014/01/01/3...ng-west-coast/

Would you all still feel comfortable going in the water out there? I wonder if people will stop surfing out there if things continue to get worse…

Images
    Thats insane. The government is supposed to warn us of dangers, not pull wool over our eyes and pretend like everything is 'ok'.

There is another thread about this topic that is up here daily. It's 9 threads down from here now..
    There's some fact and a lot of BS written on tis topic in many articles... I'd still rather be on the west coast.

Images
    I just posted that link 2 days ago on the Fukushima leak thread.

Thanks for not checking it out and not paying attention to a thread called Fukushima update:Leak.
    Last edited by Doug; Jan 5, 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Images
    That first video where it's like 150 cpm on the beach.. I believe that is around a little over 1 mircosievert per hour of exposure.. video doesn't really say much that level of radiation isn't much to worry about... in the water is a different story. i know

Brode, this is a good post. thanks for posting the video.
    but really now... what is the govt suppose to do? evacuate the entire west coast? I guess we're going to start to see illness related issues soar.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    but really now... what is the govt suppose to do?
    I don't know anything about this particular contamination issue, but how about just putting out accurate information about water quality in a way that the public can understand? That seems like a pretty basic and useful role of agencies charged with monitoring the environment?

The fact that they do a pretty lousy job at testing water quality along east coast beaches (i.e. not testing after rainfall events, not near stormwater outfall locations, not testing for a wide range of contaminants just fecal coliform in many cases) and putting out real advisories (not these cookie cutter "five star beach ratings") doesn't exactly boost my confidence.
    Last edited by mitchell; Jan 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

im headed to california for a surf trip and to visit some friends next week. ill let eveyone know if i begin to grow a tail or if i glow in the dark when i get back.

on a serious not i was just reading this about an hour before i loged on here and id be lying if i wasnt a little nervous about getting in the water.

There is some minute by minute monitoring:
    http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

But this is creepy:
    36 Signs The Media Is Lying To You About How Radiation From Fukushima Is Affecting The West Coast
    http://banoosh.com/blog/2014/01/01/3...ng-west-coast/

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Brode, this is a good post. thanks for posting the video.
    but really now... what is the govt suppose to do? evacuate the entire west coast? I guess we're going to start to see illness related issues soar.
    I don't know man. If I did I'd be a rich guy.

Evacuation is a bit much. But as a surfer it don't know how I'd feel about constantly being exposed to high levels of radiation each time I surf.