LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

How to Make Homemade Surf Wax?

How can I make homemade surf wax without the use of bees wax and coconut oil? Seen some vids, but they require things I don't have and don't know where to find.

Paraffin wax, Vasoline, and tree resin. Had to do it for a DP sesh last spring. Works ok, not worth the effort. Just buy $1 bars in bulk mail order.

Reading old posts on here, there seems to be a Wayne-type dude in NJ who will give you a free bar of wax at the break if you go up and talk to him. Don't do that.

Images
    Can I just melt unscented candles and vasoline?

Images
    And some scent and color?

How bout you answer your own rhetorical questions and melt scented, colored candles? You'll still need something with adhesive properties. The paraffin/petroleum isn't enough on it's own. It'll give the board some texture but won't be sticky hardly at all and will easily smear since it's really not sticking together. You need the tree resin or equivalent. Just go to the surf shop and buy bars. Or borrow some at the break. Just not from old dudes or ones with latex people in the backseat.

Images
    So I tried it by melting candles and vasoline and it didnt work. Just crumbled when I rubbed it. I obviously have my own wax already so I don't need wax, I just figured it would be cool to make some of my own.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    How can I make homemade surf wax without the use of bees wax and coconut oil? Seen some vids, but they require things I don't have and don't know where to find.
    That is the recipe which we invented in 1994 and gave to the surfing community. I've been using it for 20 years. We also do cooler water wax with tree resin added.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthJerseyShred View Post
    thanks for the reply, but I already saw this and it requires the stuff I don't have. Although I know someone that has bee boxes and a crapload of wax!

Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    So I tried it by melting candles and vasoline and it didnt work. Just crumbled when I rubbed it. I obviously have my own wax already so I don't need wax, I just figured it would be cool to make some of my own.
    Grom brah, if you don't need it at this time but want to make it for gits and shiggles, wait til you have the right ingredients.