LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

How many of you choose a board that fits the conditions of the surf .

I enjoy the water , so over years I have collected my share of boards . A 9.5 bushmen , an old rick's single fin , a few short boards , 5'10 lib vert , 5'11 kali nalu fish , couple Al's that range from 5'10 to 6'4 , couple skim boards and even a few body boards. Plus other equipment . I do have my favorites that I like to ride on curtain conditions .But some days I'll take out a body board on high tide a get pounded to the beach on some shore break or take the bushmen out in weaker swells . Does anyone else switch up boards to match the conditions ?

Never. I'm always on my $500k wooden gnome barrel buster, in everything from VB ankle slop to the Pipe Masters.
    Last edited by yankee; Jan 6, 2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: beach bonfires of splintered wood kiwi boards

Smile i do

Quote Originally Posted by surfin View Post
    I enjoy the water , so over years I have collected my share of boards . A 9.5 bushmen , an old rick's single fin , a few short boards , 5'10 lib vert , 5'11 kali nalu fish , couple Al's that range from 5'10 to 6'4 , couple skim boards and even a few body boards. Plus other equipment . I do have my favorites that I like to ride on curtain conditions .But some days I'll take out a body board on high tide a get pounded to the beach on some shore break or take the bushmen out in weaker swells . Does anyone else switch up boards to match the conditions ?

i think most of us favor variety. i have a (short) short board and a big one. a fun board
    (silly name) and a small lb and a big lb and a sup. i bring 2 boards when i go; usually ride
    the larger sb..but try to approach session w/open mind. also busting new moves always fun; i
    find this easier to do when riding vehicles the others eschew.

Isn't variety the spice of life?

Yup. I like to think I am a board polygamist. Each one equates to a fiberglass girlfriend.
    9' double ender is a pro womens basketball player- big, athletic, lots of fun and goes both ways, one way better than the other but hard to fit in a little car.
    The 6' thruster chip is an underwear model, chubs you up when you ogle her and get close but hard as hell to stay on top of, always gets in late and conditions are not often suitable for satisfaction.
    My '74 Caster single fin RP is a sexy cougar always ready to go in any condition but shows her age in the harsh morning light.
    5'4" Mini Sims is short, curvey and ridiculous fun when it is soft and clean allowing me to carve , bounce and slide to my heart's desire but I wouldn't want to be seen around town with her.
    If I was forced to settle on one because I got her knocked up on a deserted island (angry indigenous father?) it would be a mid sized shortboard, maybe 7'2". A tough and sexy broad that is smarter than me, will work in any condition, is not afraid of the big stuff, low maintenance, and can really cook if you know where to steer her.

all of my boards are better in different conditions but lately I've been riding a 5'7" sub scorcher. its a really fun board in most conditions.

I always try to tailor my board to the conditions. "TRY" being the key word. Sometime I just do not have the right stick, but I will try to bring out my most appropriate board. Hercules let me bring out the new 6'2 Stretch Nathan Fletcher F-4 Bat Tail. It was serious fun. I was definitely a high performance kind of day. Check the photos my buddy took of the session on Saturday at our favorite spot.
    http://www.surfline.com/photos/#!/sl...Fhampton%22%7D

Quote Originally Posted by antoine View Post
    absolutely. when adding to my quiver, i try to choose (or i find myself drawn to) boards that will work well in a wide variety of conditions & wave sizes. not b/c i'm looking for a "one board to rule them all" situation, but b/c i have surfboard ADD & will ride the same board for months on end, then not touch it for a while. & rather than trading that board in, it's nice to be able to go to the back of the rack, dust off something else, & ride that for a while. i've got boards that range from 5'6" to 9'6"...& am always looking around for something a little different, something interesting or challenging to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by antoine View Post
    No brah. Erock said it was Lottie's Bajan Pepper Mustard.

log, simons-ish groveler, quad fish, hpsb, pin tail pbsb, retro single fin. I'm F'n ready.