LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Call grain surfboards. I think they will be doing an east coast tour wih their Mobil classroom this summer. Not sure tho. It will put out 1700 bucks tho

If you are willing to head to the North Shore look up Chandler. He'll take you under his wing. He has a helper/sander named Turtle that may be jealous, but he'll come around. He'll teach you all about the North Shore and may let you stay with him.

Good luck at Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Call grain surfboards. I think they will be doing an east coast tour wih their Mobil classroom this summer. Not sure tho. It will put out 1700 bucks tho
    $1700 to learn to shape A board!?!?!? Holy farking nut sack Batman are you kidding. And I thought only the Gnome who rides Charles bone charged outrageous prices, guess it's all the angry beaver builders who do huh.

Vote Rcarter in 2014 Because if we all work together we can all hate everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by nynj View Post
    if you are willing to head to the north shore look up chandler. He'll take you under his wing. He has a helper/sander named turtle that may be jealous, but he'll come around. He'll teach you all about the north shore and may let you stay with him.

Good luck at pipe
    f**k you, you stole my idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    f**k you, you stole my idea!!
    Yall both a day late, check out post 10 in this here thread.

gonna piggy back off this thread, I live in Virginia beach and have always wanted to learn to shape. I wanted to find out if there is anyone in the area that would be willing to just let me hang out in the shaping bay and clean up and **** to learn a little of the trade. not looking to shape immediately but really wanna learn some of the trade

Lee is the man and has somewhat restored my faith in VBers. I was gonna be all disparaging cuz when I lived in VB it was the ultimate insider elitist D-baggery club... more so than anywhere else I have lived... in the industry and in the surf. Shoot, I remember people bagging on Austin when that guy started as an outsider. Just trying to get someone to talk to you in a shop was a hassle let alone getting a job slanging tees....then again Freedom SS changed the scene somewhat. I can't remember the original owner's name before Chris but he was a cool dude as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    $1700 to learn to shape A board!?!?!? Holy farking nut sack Batman are you kidding. And I thought only the Gnome who rides Charles bone charged outrageous prices, guess it's all the angry beaver builders who do huh.

Yeah 1700 is steep. That's why I'm offering old school chambered fish boards soon. My chambered boards are gonna be 60% complete made from cheap white cedar. First rail bands are put in with a router. All the builder needs to finish is some toung oil or resin and basic sanding tools. I offered some of these for Christmas upon peoples request and it seemed popular.

Maybe they charge $1700 because insurance is pretty steep? Saws and power handplaners can cut your fingers off. Those Grain dudes don't do foam core boards, do they? Maybe that price includes room, board and 3 squares? Should charge even more for keyboard jockeys and hipsters. Discount for licensed contractors. Why don't you visit those foamez guys in SoCal? Don't they rent bays and tools? And they can glass your lumpy crooked shaped blank too if I'm not mistaken. And mark the fins. And sink the boxes and leash cup. And the waves are probably better than where you are from, more than likely. $1700 would get me a whole month of surfari back pre family overhead days. Sounds like a surf trip to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Yeah 1700 is steep. That's why I'm offering old school chambered fish boards soon. My chambered boards are gonna be 60% complete made from cheap white cedar. First rail bands are put in with a router. All the builder needs to finish is some toung oil or resin and basic sanding tools. I offered some of these for Christmas upon peoples request and it seemed popular.
    Sounds pretty cool, but are you gonna charge $500,000 for them ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post
    Sounds pretty cool, but are you gonna charge $500,000 for them ?

500 bucks for a shipped 60% completed old school chambered wooden fish. Builder only needs to shape the remainder of the wooden blank then seal with resin or oil. Pre set fcs twin plugs. Pre set vent. Pre set leash cup.