LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Images

worst surf injury?

whats yalls best? now remember this is a competition. mine was probably some reef rash in costa rica i cut up my legs and foot so bad i couldnt walk right for a week but i was still surfing..

was really excited about some mid-summer waves so I just ran staright into the shore break, planning to jump over the first one, plane out on my board, and paddle out. Slipped in the perfect spot, fell into the pit of the shorebreak wave, board smacked me in the face breaking my nose, I went over the falls on the sand and hyper-extended my back. Double whammy.

Ouch

I was surfing with a large pack of locals at playa grande costa rica. It was so crowded that a local surfer surfed over my leg and left me with a nasty wound from his fin. It sucked

I took a bad tumble during Hurricane Sandy and pinched a nerve in my shoulder which kept me out of the water for about 4 months because I couldn't lay on my belly or paddle without significant pain and/or numbness. The worst out of water injury that has effected my surfing (and the worst injury of my life and I've broken all kind of bones) was a big damn bone bruise in my knee that happened while rock climbing and having it torqued the wrong way. I've since re-aggravated it 3 times and it takes 3 months NO SURFING/EXERCISE before you can slowly get back in to anything. So that's 9 months out of the water over the past 4 years right there. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't care about pain so long as I can do what I enjoy but I have been humbled and taught a great lesson about caring for an injury the proper way.

i take off to a back side rail grab barrel and before i know this thing starts suckking up and throwing hard. i start to go up with it and my board comes out from under neath me goes up and over with the lip and one of the fins slices my chin/cheek. wasn't too bad.. no stitches or anything but i did look like raul ibanez for a few days

raul.jpg

My son had to have 11 stitches done to the top of his head when a guy ran over and cut him with his fins during the big Sandy Swell a couple of years ago.

I can't find that picture....
    WP_20121204_001.jpg
    But I did find this one from when I had my three front teeth knocked out by a longboard to the face. It's an xray from right after emergency root canal and temporary screw & bonding. That little episode cost me at least $5k in dental bills over two years.

What bothers me is that I had one cavity and almost perfect teeth prior.

My wife thinks I should take up golf.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBoast View Post
    i take off to a back side rail grab barrel and before i know this thing starts suckking up and throwing hard. i start to go up with it and my board comes out from under neath me goes up and over with the lip and one of the fins slices my chin/cheek. wasn't too bad.. no stitches or anything but i did look like raul ibanez for a few days

raul.jpg
    im just waiting for that day to happen.. ive been really good at not getting hit by my board in when getting smashed like that but one day it will happen.

#thosewhocantsurfgolf

ribs meeting puerto rican reef

Nothing major, luckily but I've had my fair share of cuts and bruises.
    I took off on a super late drop, and just said f it back during that first real swell we got in November and my arm must have got ripped backwards, 'cause my shoulder is still bothering me...hoping it's not a rotator cuff injury...I've been putting off having it looked at, hoping it will heal on it's own, but I guess if I don't see any improvements soon I'll bite the bullet and have it looked at.

Feet meeting Puerto Rican Urchins