LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Imperial's advice on picking up a board and what types of boards are right on the mark. If you decide to bring your own boards I wouldn't take them on the bus. Check out these guys, www.kevinstransfers.com. I use them all the time super reliable and great guys. PM me if you want their phone numbers.

2. You should be able to rent a decent board in Hermosa..right on the beach. If you cannot find anything you like, check out Centro America surfboards, its up the road a few miles. They have tons on the rack for sale and rent. If you decide to take you own board, make sure to never let it leave your sight..common sense. And as mentioned, get on it early before the wind switches and respect the locals.

When they say "bring hiking boots", are we talking serious boots, or trail runners, or even those keen hiking sandal things? Going to surfcosta! Have a trip to the national park, and waterfall. Just want to pack the right footwear.
    Last edited by Gfootr; Jan 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    When they say "bring hiking boots", are we talking serious boots, or trail runners, or even those keen hiking sandal things? Going to surfcosta! Have a trip to the national park, and waterfall. Just want to pack the right footwear.
    if you are just hiking manuel antonio national park in the dry season - you won't need serious boots. rainy season is a different story, however. pura vida!

Thumbs up renting stick prob way2go for intermediate

taca lost my boards 3x, got 'em back each time, only damaged 'em once (EL SAL) and for
    that they paid minimal damages. but one time a lady was carrying a chicken in her carry on;
    the locals told me i should be glad it wasn't a rooster...

Bus' may take your board from SJO to the beach, but not always from the beach to SJO. I found that out the hard way. "NO MESA! NO MESA!" is what the bus driver yelled at me thru a cracked door. Had to hitchhike back.

7. Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    Bus' may take your board from SJO to the beach, but not always from the beach to SJO. I found that out the hard way. "NO MESA! NO MESA!" is what the bus driver yelled at me thru a cracked door. Had to hitchhike back.
    shortboards 50/50 chance but longboards pretty much no go. a cab to the airport from Playa Hermosa is around $125 - best bet is to split the cab with some people from your hotel going to back to SJO.

PS - if you do take the bus to SJO make sure to ask someone local about the correct times.

Quote Originally Posted by surf dog View Post
    Imperial's advice on picking up a board and what types of boards are right on the mark. If you decide to bring your own boards I wouldn't take them on the bus. Check out these guys, www.kevinstransfers.com. I use them all the time super reliable and great guys. PM me if you want their phone numbers.
    This x2. He's a friend of a friend and I used him last april to get from the airport to Jaco (he'll go to Hermosa too.) Good service and he'll hook you up with surf and non-surf related side trips. It was well worth the $90ish dollars I spent.

Plenty of places to rent boards down there! Its not like it used to be. Hell, Jaco is like Daytona now! Personally I would recommend avoiding. Better waves, better vibes up north (Guanacaste area) or further south. Manuel Antonio is great for sight seeing but not surfing.

We hired a cab when we went to stay at Playa Hermosa. Beats a bus any day. And yes you can carry boards in the cabs. Mine was actually a van. Several places to rent boards in Jaco. Though they all looks like potato chips and Hermosa is known for broken boards. They may have boards at Esterios and they have boards in Manuel Antonio. Remember Antonio really only breaks at high tide. I only had my 7'7 fish sometimes felt over gunned and undergunned. Had the chance to surf Boca Barranca when it was 14 ft at Hermosa. Awesome left.