LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Do you people honestly think that the site information IHL posted is going to make those breaks get crowded?? At this time of year? Do you really think the people reading these threads are going to stop what they are doing and head up to MonCo at the next swell? I'm in SNJ and the furthest North I go is to Wooden Jetty. The REAL crowds as we know don't come till Summer. How many Summer guys will bookmark this thread in January. One? Two? he only posted what everyone on here could find online if they INTEND on surfing up there for the first time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by surfrr View Post
    Agreed that there's no more "secret spots" left. And people who want to find out where to go surf are perfectly capable of finding those resources out there ala surfline, stormrider's guide, asking a local. But is it really necessary to adverstise street names and only further add to crowd factor?

I can sort of understand if you're using trying to do reverse psychology by advertising lots of other monco spots so you can thin the crowd at the inlet or jenks, but that just seems misguided. My point is most spots are already blown up and crowded, so do we really need to blow them up anymore?

all this info exists already on the web. i just gathered it and made it digestible.

Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    Do you people honestly think that the site information IHL posted is going to make those breaks get crowded?? At this time of year? Do you really think the people reading these threads are going to stop what they are doing and head up to MonCo at the next swell? I'm in SNJ and the furthest North I go is to Wooden Jetty. The REAL crowds as we know don't come till Summer. How many Summer guys will bookmark this thread in January. One? Two? he only posted what everyone on here could find online if they INTEND on surfing up there for the first time anyway.
    yea this is my goal basically. open it up and let people know that there are good spots out there.

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    Shredder Buds. All best friends. All ride the same looking board. Straight-up loc'd out shredder BUDS! YEWWW! I used to surf there every once in a while. Now I don't even bother.
    dude, the worstttttt. they're all pretty mediocre surfers/body boarders as well.

the jenks crew is the worst by far and I don't know why it's fun even for them but it also can be like the inside bowl 8 foot sunset or total dangerous crap and everything in between.it is a heavy wave, so you can't be snaking, so I guess they think the attitude is necessary.maybe it is for them.there's also only so many waves per person on the inlet peak, the first jetty or even queen, but that doesn't make the experience enjoyable for many of us non-locals. it could be worse. we have nothing to complain about really compared to Hawaii,pr,cal and Australia.

jenks is a solid and heavy wave. it can get world class and gnarly but at the same time, it's not pipe or something. the "jenks crew" treats that place like it's some sort of valhalla that no one else can handle which is such a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ChavezYChavez View Post
    Do you people honestly think that the site information IHL posted is going to make those breaks get crowded?? At this time of year? .
    Nope, crowds were ther before this post, and will be there after this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Irish View Post
    Nope, crowds were ther before this post, and will be there after this post.
    yea this is the sentiment i'm trying to convey. if your spot was crowded before it's going to be crowded tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post
    i don't know why people keep thinking this is a troll. it's not. for the umpteenth time, it's about spreading knowledge, educating people about whats around them and allowing open access for all.
    I thought this was a joke thread at first.

this isn't about trying to look cool it's about spreading knowledge. i've surfed in monmouth county for 30+ years and i'm tired of people laying claim to the ocean like they have some pre-ordained right to be there. you don't

beernwata - so you're telling me you've never been given advice?
    I think that there's a difference between giving advice or guiding the uninitiated on a personal level and posting detailed break information on the internet, don't you?

all this info exists already on the web. i just gathered it and made it digestible.
    2,175. That's how many people have viewed this thread since it was posted. I didnít know almost any of these spots, nor have a reason to Iím not planning a trip out East anytime in the near future; Iím not your target audience, but they are out there. I do know a lot about how information is consumed though.

You've surfed for 30 years, I imagine based on my own experience that itís pretty important to you. It is to me. I donít think of it as a sport or a hobby, I think of it more as a practice or a craft. Iím a craftsman, I make things for a living and people let me know that the stuff I make is pretty good by giving me money to make more of it. And what Iíve learned is that to do anything of quality requires discipline, perseverance, hard work, lots of time, constant learning, practice and repetition. To do anything well is a big pain in the arse. We do the current crop of surfers a disservice by giving them the easy road. Surfing isnít easy, it never gets easy, you just get better at it until your body starts breaking down and you start getting worse again. Posts like this let people just bypass a large part of what is a fundamental surfing skill, forecasting and finding waves. Itís right up there with duck diving or a solid bottom turn. The ocean belongs to everyone sure, but that means that everyone needs to be a steward to it. When people put it in work to find a spot, get to know it, become a local; they start to care about it. They take care of it, pick up trash and maintain trails, they watch out more for the other regulars, theyíre cautious around new comers and generally helpful, they regulate dangerous kooks; I see all of these behaviors amongst the regulars at the spots that Iím barely counted as a local at (I will always be a transplant despite the fact that Iíve lived here on and off since the 80ís and married a girl from IB). Iíve never seen someone I didnít recognize pick up a piece of garbage. Localism has become an ugly word with negative connotations, but locals put in work and itís hard to care about something that you donít work for. Locals are deserving of respect, because you respect another personís home when you are guest. Thatís what I was taught, thatís what I teach my daughter and nephew. I was taught that pulling up to a break with a crowd wasnít cool. Blowing up a break on the internet is the digital equivalent of pulling up with a crowd. These days there are so many things that make surfing so much easier than it was even a decade ago, let alone 30 years when we started. Everything from wetsuits that actually keep you warm and you can move in, to boards that practically wonít break. I like the internet and the free flow of information and take full advantage of it; but I often think that surfing hasnít benefited from it. I donít think the breaks youíve posted will.

Iím rambling, wtf do I know. Here's some California gold, don't ax me where.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I thought this was a joke thread at first.

I think that there's a difference between giving advice or guiding the uninitiated on a personal level and posting detailed break information on the internet, don't you?

2,175. That's how many people have viewed this thread since it was posted. I didn’t know almost any of these spots, nor have a reason to I’m not planning a trip out East anytime in the near future; I’m not your target audience, but they are out there. I do know a lot about how information is consumed though.

You've surfed for 30 years, I imagine based on my own experience that it’s pretty important to you. It is to me. I don’t think of it as a sport or a hobby, I think of it more as a practice or a craft. I’m a craftsman, I make things for a living and people let me know that the stuff I make is pretty good by giving me money to make more of it. And what I’ve learned is that to do anything of quality requires discipline, perseverance, hard work, lots of time, constant learning, practice and repetition. To do anything well is a big pain in the arse. We do the current crop of surfers a disservice by giving them the easy road. Surfing isn’t easy, it never gets easy, you just get better at it until your body starts breaking down and you start getting worse again. Posts like this let people just bypass a large part of what is a fundamental surfing skill, forecasting and finding waves. It’s right up there with duck diving or a solid bottom turn. The ocean belongs to everyone sure, but that means that everyone needs to be a steward to it. When people put it in work to find a spot, get to know it, become a local; they start to care about it. They take care of it, pick up trash and maintain trails, they watch out more for the other regulars, they’re cautious around new comers and generally helpful, they regulate dangerous kooks; I see all of these behaviors amongst the regulars at the spots that I’m barely counted as a local at (I will always be a transplant despite the fact that I’ve lived here on and off since the 80’s and married a girl from IB). I’ve never seen someone I didn’t recognize pick up a piece of garbage. Localism has become an ugly word with negative connotations, but locals put in work and it’s hard to care about something that you don’t work for. Locals are deserving of respect, because you respect another person’s home when you are guest. That’s what I was taught, that’s what I teach my daughter and nephew. I was taught that pulling up to a break with a crowd wasn’t cool. Blowing up a break on the internet is the digital equivalent of pulling up with a crowd. These days there are so many things that make surfing so much easier than it was even a decade ago, let alone 30 years when we started. Everything from wetsuits that actually keep you warm and you can move in, to boards that practically won’t break. I like the internet and the free flow of information and take full advantage of it; but I often think that surfing hasn’t benefited from it. I don’t think the breaks you’ve posted will.

I’m rambling, wtf do I know. Here's some California gold, don't ax me where.

needed a tl;dr but i get the gist.

giving location information on a spot is pretty vague at best. i'm telling you where to look but i'm not pushing them into the wave.

say some 14 year old read this thread and is like "**** i'm gonna have mom drive me to jenks next time there is waves" and he goes, shows up, gets his ass handed to him by a couple of wedges and goes home. he's not ruining the spot and if anything he's gaining experience. i'm just pointing you in a direction i'm not breaking it down.

i have been in the water for over 30 years and I want to spread the knowledge i've gained from both people telling me to my own experience in the water.

the fundamental issue is why is telling people information a bad thing? it's 2014, making surfing open source.