LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beater Board?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willeyboards View Post
    Thanks Chuck. Been using exposed raw cork for about 2 years now on my surfboards, paddle boards and bodyboards. Pretty amazing material. When exposed to water it releases a waxy, oily substance called suberin which provides all the grip you need without the need for wax. Cork doesn't actually absorb water, so there is no weight gain and the suberin never wears out. Also won't shred your stomach up like wax can, not to mention all the days your run out of wax, leave your board in your car and wax gets everywhere . . . .

www.willeysurfboards.com
    i'd like to see some vid footage of people riding these - don't see any on your site or on YouTube. can you provide some linkage?

I've got one. Like everyone else said they're fun to mess around with on a small, mushy day. I sometimes ride it like a boogie board into some dumpy shore break or after drinking beer in the sun all day. If you're semi-serious about doing both look in to a used surfboard and a cheap boogie board. The beater board (I've got the 54" twin fin) is fairly short and if you're not decent at surfing it would be really, really hard to learn on it.

Images
    Not Wiley's boards but some random stand up boog footage...imagine it's be similar on the beaters, maybe a tad easier w/ the extra length...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i'd like to see some vid footage of people riding these - don't see any on your site or on YouTube. can you provide some linkage?
    No video footage yet, just some pics. Just started make the cork top boards this month. I can add fcs plugs to the standard answer boards also. If your local to the ocean city md area, just give me a shout and id be happy to let you borrow one to demo. - Grab your Willey and Get Wet!

www.willeysurfboards.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NICAfiend View Post
    I've got one. Like everyone else said they're fun to mess around with on a small, mushy day. I sometimes ride it like a boogie board into some dumpy shore break or after drinking beer in the sun all day. If you're semi-serious about doing both look in to a used surfboard and a cheap boogie board. The beater board (I've got the 54" twin fin) is fairly short and if you're not decent at surfing it would be really, really hard to learn on it.
    I hear you, the beater is hard to learn on especially if your not a 100 lb. kid. Made the answer board wider, thicker, added a domed deck and shaped in a better channel through the tail. Definitely holds a better line but still a challenge without fins. Offer a 58" sized one too, easily floats 200 lb. www.willeysurfboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by NICAfiend View Post
    I've got one. Like everyone else said they're fun to mess around with on a small, mushy day. I sometimes ride it like a boogie board into some dumpy shore break or after drinking beer in the sun all day...The beater board (I've got the 54" twin fin) is fairly short and if you're not decent at surfing it would be really, really hard to learn on it.
    I was going to type a reply but NICA already did it for me. Fun on the dumpy, shorebreak, beer drinking days with all your dude and dudettes on the beach.

Oh yeah, if you're over say 190lbs don't plan on doing much stand up surfing on it unless the waves have some juice and you have your skills dialed in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willeyboards View Post
    I hear you, the beater is hard to learn on especially if your not a 100 lb. kid. Made the answer board wider, thicker, added a domed deck and shaped in a better channel through the tail. Definitely holds a better line but still a challenge without fins. Offer a 58" sized one too, easily floats 200 lb. www.willeysurfboards.com
    i watched a kid on a twin-fin beater one day last summer having a blast but he was prolly 50 lbs lighter than me...so would an average size middle-aged joe like myself, at 5'9", 165 lbs, of average surfing ability, fair better on the 5'2" or the 5'8"?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i watched a kid on a twin-fin beater one day last summer having a blast but he was prolly 50 lbs lighter than me...so would an average size middle-aged joe like myself, at 5'9", 165 lbs, of average surfing ability, fair better on the 5'2" or the 5'8"?
    Honestly you would be fine getting into waves on both. Cant go wrong with more float especially if its for the small summer time stuff.

Thanks for all the imput guys