LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Bicycle Trailers?

I have a Carver bike rack which is great, but I need the ability to carry more boards for the rest of the family. I have looked at a bunch online and they range anywhere from 200 to 800$. What are you guys using to carry multiple boards? I'm tempted to canibalize old bike parts and weld together something to avoid cost.

Images
    what size boards? you can usually pick up one of these on craigs list for a few bucks (like $30-$50) and stack a few short boards in it (with some minor modifications), or strip it down to the aluminum frame and modify it for longer boards.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    what size boards? you can usually pick up one of these on craigs list for a few bucks (like $30-$50) and stack a few short boards in it (with some minor modifications), or strip it down to the aluminum frame and modify it for longer boards.

I would like to hold longboards and shortboards. I was looking at this idea too. I would even go as far as extending the hitch to give me more length between the cart and the bike for longer boards.

4. I saw a tutorial on building your own a few years back, if your interested I could look for it again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMook View Post
    I would like to hold longboards and shortboards. I was looking at this idea too. I would even go as far as extending the hitch to give me more length between the cart and the bike for longer boards.
    yup - at worst, this gives you wheels and a frame as a starting point. check your local goodwill store as well. i actually have one of these that my 5 y/o hasn't needed for the last year or so, but i've hung on to it as conveyor of beach stuff in general. i also have Carver racks, but we're reaching the point of hauling 2-3 boards to the beach on any given day, so i'm in the same boat as you. let us know what you come up with.

I have been using a Mule for several years with my hybrid bike to tow 2 boards (usually my 9'6" tanker and a 7' fish). I stuff both boards into a 9'6" Da Kine board bag first, then strap the Mule onto the board bag, then hook the Mule up to my bike. I live and surf on Delmarva, so the biggest bike challenges are wind and summer traffic. My 2 most common routes were from North OC to IRI up and back on Coastal Hwy / Rt 1 (~12 mi each way) and from east of Berlin to Assateague along a couple of Worcester County country roads then Rt 611 (~6 mi each way).

I've never had any problem with the Mule itself. I actually own 2 now, one I keep at the farm where I work with a couple boards for my spring/summer/fall Assateague sessions. I used to live in North OC, and would use the other one for my rides to IRI. I moved to West O last August, so I don't do the ride to IRI anymore.

I also have a Carver for a used mountain bike I got cheap on craigslist. I use this for the shorter rides across the OC bridge to the inlet or midtown, and since I never use my longboard in town, no need for the trailer.
    Last edited by funkyspec; Feb 9, 2014 at 01:39 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyspec View Post
    I have been using a Mule for several years with my hybrid bike to tow 2 boards (usually my 9'6" tanker and a 7' fish). I stuff both boards into a 9'6" Da Kine board bag first, then strap the Mule onto the board bag, then hook the Mule up to my bike. I live and surf on Delmarva, so the biggest bike challenges are wind and summer traffic. My 2 most common routes were from North OC to IRI up and back on Coastal Hwy / Rt 1 (~12 mi each way) and from east of Berlin to Assateague along a couple of Worcester County country roads then Rt 611 (~6 mi each way).

I've never had any problem with the Mule itself. I actually own 2 now, one I keep at the farm where I work with a couple boards for my spring/summer/fall Assateague sessions. I used to live in North OC, and would use the other one for my rides to IRI. I moved to West O last August, so I don't do the ride to IRI anymore.

I also have a Carver for a used mountain bike I got cheap on craigslist. I use this on the shorter rides across the OC bridge to the inlet or midtown, and since I never use my longboard in town, no need for the trailer.
    I looked at the mule and I wasn't crazy about how the whole thing is tied together and I'm afraid of it not being able to hold 3-4 boards. However, it looks light, easy to tow on the beach, and would take up a ton less space in the shed. What's the max amount of boards that thing can hold?
    Btw I give you props for riding that far. I live 1/2 mile from beach so for me it's not as important for it to be a proper road worthy carrier.

Images
    I see them right now on Craigslist for 50$. We already have one that my wife hauls the kids and beach crap. It's loaded to the gills. It can carry 2 beach chairs, 2 boogie boards, soft cooler, towel bag, shovel, 1kid, and on occasion when I'm not around one foam top surfboard 6'6". The beach chairs hang from two 8 inch galvanized bolts which go through holes that i drilled through the jogging handlebar. My youngest daughter isn't cleared for full bike riding to the beach yet so I can't cannibalize the trailer we have now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyspec View Post
    whew, that's a hike. i just gotta make it five blocks with our gear.

any CB surfers ever see and/or know the guy who bikes down from wilmington pulling a surf kayak? i think he comes all the way from somewhere on Shipyard - i used to see him out at the Tiki Bar. pretty adept with his kayak, goes out for a couple of hours and then bikes back to Wilmington. i was always impressed with that.

I've only had 2 boards on my Mule, again a longboard and shortboard, both stuffed into a single Da Kine boardbag. For a 1/2 mi trip with 3-4 boards, I think it could work. You'd probably want to use one or more boardbags depending on how many boards you will be transporting. The Mule would attach to the boardbag on the bottom (which would hold the longest board you are carrying that day). The second boardbag could be bungied or strapped on top of the bottom boardbag. I bungie my wetsuit, towel, and backpack to the top of the boardbag when I use my mule. Also, it would probably work best if you are transporting at least one board 8' or longer (instead of say something like 4 6' boards). The one longer board serves as the trailer "floor" and the rest of the boards stack on top of that.

The Mule was one of the cheaper retail options. And when you get it and see the components and how it works, you'll be like "I can't believe I paid $80 for this." But it works. If you are handy or crafty you could probably build one yourself. I would start by trying to upgrade a solid boardbag - adding a sleeve for the axle and a strap at the top to secure the boardbag to your bike's seat or seatpost.