LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Yes, it's a Richard Price shaped custom for PR for me. Its not a hpsb though, its a 6"8 step up for big PR. Forecast is HH but its usually a cpl feet bigger than forecast so I think I'm gonna bring it. Also its poly, Price says they are better for bigger surf instead of eps. I tend to not tell him anything more than length, where I will be surfing it, how much I weigh. He knows better than me about all the rest. This thread did make me get out a flat edge to see where the concave starts and its WAY up near the front. I may take pics of the straight edge on the concave if you're interested.

If you don't bring that thing to PR you will regret it. when you find yourself dropping in a little too steep deep and late and don't make it. you'll say to your self " I would have made that if only I had...". They are super fast and really stick in the face of the wave. They also really keep speed on cut backs. I have a 6'2" Byrning Spear Spear double wing swallow channel bottom that gets surfed rarely here but always goes in the bag for surftrips.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckontheGulf View Post
    Yes, it's a Richard Price shaped custom for PR for me. Its not a hpsb though, its a 6"8 step up for big PR. Forecast is HH but its usually a cpl feet bigger than forecast so I think I'm gonna bring it. Also its poly, Price says they are better for bigger surf instead of eps. I tend to not tell him anything more than length, where I will be surfing it, how much I weigh. He knows better than me about all the rest. This thread did make me get out a flat edge to see where the concave starts and its WAY up near the front. I may take pics of the straight edge on the concave if you're interested.
    Please send pics. I am debating between an Orion, CI, or a R.P. on my next custom step up shape. I don't mind when it's typical waist to chest semi mush to ride my home made fish, but when it gets good I leave it to the pros to make me a sled that will take a late drop and get down the line, and still be able to cutback with power without losing speed. The rounded tail on your board looks barrel friendly. Go steep and stay deep brah.

Thumbs up out in the cold - but wanting to come in….

i read it all - enjoyably (really) - but still left the dinner table feeling hungry.i have enuf experience to know that some (or many) of you know your ****; with respect to channels
    and the holy grail of speed i think it was musical chairs and i was left standing…due, i guess,
    to (repeated) poor equipment choice. i was always NOT INTO competition, as such always
    (of course) had to fork out so I REMEMBER the stix that didn't go…sorry if this devolved into
    rant….if there is an upside its that bad choices likely led to better focus on equipment.

This is my second RP. For a hpsb I ride his transformer2 6"0 eps 5 box squash. That is hands down the best board I have ever ridden. I don't know what it is about that board but it does everything I ask it to from 2 ft to well OH. I had a few custom orions too but prefer RP. Go to the RP website and read up.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckontheGulf View Post
    This is my second RP. For a hpsb I ride his transformer2 6"0 eps 5 box squash. That is hands down the best board I have ever ridden. I don't know what it is about that board but it does everything I ask it to from 2 ft to well OH. I had a few custom orions too but prefer RP. Go to the RP website and read up.
    Roger that!

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    i read it all - enjoyably (really) - but still left the dinner table feeling hungry.i have enuf experience to know that some (or many) of you know your ****; with respect to channels
    and the holy grail of speed i think it was musical chairs and i was left standing…due, i guess,
    to (repeated) poor equipment choice. i was always NOT INTO competition, as such always
    (of course) had to fork out so I REMEMBER the stix that didn't go…sorry if this devolved into
    rant….if there is an upside its that bad choices likely led to better focus on equipment.
    well, like anything, channel bottoms are not for everyone. personally, i prefer bonzers, but not everyone likes them. keep an open mind, take a "live & learn" approach to boards, & you'll figure out what you like & don't like pretty quickly.

while we're on the subject, any of you guys who've had channel bottom boards had one set up as a quad? i'm thinking that if i do end up ordering one i might set it up w/ a 5 pack of boxes.

I rode a rip curl 5"8 quad squash with channels in the late 80s. I loved it but interestingly enough there were 4 channels and they were in the middle of the board. They did not go out the tail. They were in the center1/3 of the board. It was fast and a great board

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    while we're on the subject, any of you guys who've had channel bottom boards had one set up as a quad? i'm thinking that if i do end up ordering one i might set it up w/ a 5 pack of boxes.
    No, but I can tell you that I had to sand down the tabs of the FCS side fins so they fit in the slots without a gap.they sit in the channel so they kinda sit weird.