LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    this is the proton the other is the lib lib 006.jpg
    Last edited by surfin; Jan 19, 2014 at 07:30 PM.

thanks for the feed back fellas . I do have an Idea what concave does for performance on hpsb , and now a little bit more . After surfing this thing for a few sessions , I miss those fine subtle hand made touches on the bottom of a sb . I realize this board has its own way to surf it . Its perfect for waist to head high waves that are on the weak side . Great board to kite , durable . But once the waves get a little more juice on them . My confidence goes down on weather this board will stay under my feet . So on those good days that board will be sitting in the truck and the 5'10 or 6'2 hpsb will be in the water . one more question if I were to drop to a 5'8 instead of a 5'10 , could that help with the looseness while surfing . I weight 170 with a wetsuit on .
    less foam and float , for better control with speed ? still w/o concave thou .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by baddy trailerpark View Post
    so a photo of a well lit/centered/focused rider falling backwards for a photog is proof?
    got anything better?
    really? now you're just trying to be obtuse...but i'll play along. how about the fact that every. single. pro. uses concaves on their boards? not a single one rides boards w/ flat bottoms.
    here's kelly slater on the fred rubble, a board w/ single concave under the front foot that transitions into double concave between the fins, then vee out the back, behind the rear fin:

here's taylor knox, king of carve, clearly making concaves work well:

dan malloy:

jack johnson:

tom curren, the master himself, on the aforementioned fred rubble:

& just for good measure, here's taylor knox again, ripping the snot out of lowers on his fort knox model:
    http://vimeo.com/5208699
    unfortunately, i don't know how to embed the video here, so you'll have to click the link.

for additional good measure, here's mick fanning:

Exclamation I take it back - i was wrong!!!!!

seems my concept of channels is dinosauric. many poorly designed boards with vivid
    channels were marketed and sold (some to me). some of the first ever: i'm talking late
    seventies/early eighties. they sucked and left me bitter due to spent funds and effort.
    hence my post.

these days channels have 'been thru the wash', are the norm (if not overdone), and have
    been refined into an effective feature. hence my apology. i didn't mean to offend anyone…

and learned a bit more about myself with help from you guys.

seems my concept of channels is dinosauric. many poorly designed boards with vivid
    channels were marketed and sold (some to me). some of the first ever: i'm talking late
    seventies/early eighties. they sucked and left me bitter due to spent funds and effort.
    hence my post.

these days channels have 'been thru the wash', are the norm (if not overdone), and have
    been refined into an effective feature. hence my apology. i didn't mean to offend anyone…

and learned a bit more about myself with help from you guys.

well, i think part of the problem may a misunderstanding of what's being discussed. channels aren't the same thing as concaves.

channels:

this bottom contour was very popular in the time period you refer to, which pre-dates the widespread use of concaves on the bottom of high performance surfboards. IMO, channel bottoms are a good alternative to the standard single to double concave bottom in good, clean surf. if there's any texture on the face, not so much. they don't work so well.

concaves:

it wasn't until the late '80s or early '90s that the use of concaves became the norm. shapers were using them, & using them effectively, prior to that, but that's when it really caught on.

i enjoy discussions like this. no hard feelings.

Question so lets keep it going….

so channels (my take=bad) have morphed into concaves (our take=good) or are they two separate entities? your photo of channel board - are these types of surfboard bottoms still
    in use/play???
    my bad attitude towards channels comes from wanting them to work SO BAD BUT NEVER
    HAVING FELT THE LOVE….because this wallet and ass put them to the test and in my weak-wave
    nj world they get a failing grade from me.

if they are still out there, then, (straight up) why do riders choose them?? hpsb context only
    please.

Images
    NJ surfer, did you see the pic I posted of my Walden fish? Any thoughts as to the dramatic flattening of rails?

never had a concaved board that went well unless the concaves were soft - real soft. if a shaper
    or intermediate tells you they work, well, let their surfing talent (on that concaved board) be
    the final answer.
    What are you talking about? Just about every board has some degree of concave, especially shortboards??

so channels (my take=bad) have morphed into concaves (our take=good) or are they two separate entities? your photo of channel board - are these types of surfboard bottoms still
    in use/play???
    my bad attitude towards channels comes from wanting them to work SO BAD BUT NEVER
    HAVING FELT THE LOVE….because this wallet and ass put them to the test and in my weak-wave
    nj world they get a failing grade from me.

if they are still out there, then, (straight up) why do riders choose them?? hpsb context only
    please.
    Channels did not morph into concaves...shapers have been using concaves on the bottom of boards for many years. Channels and bottom contour/concaves are very different. ANd yes alot of pros are using channels as well, especially on big wave boards. Both concaves and channels will result in more speed. Anything that frees up water contact with the bottom of the board will create speed. Both are designs to help water pass faster on tbe bottom of the board. Less drag=speed.