LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: trip to FL

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,579
    When you head back to Orlando from you session, don't do it as the sun goes down or you'll have the sun in your eyes the whole way back. The drive sucks bad enough during normal daylight hours. And if anyone plans to head south to northern Palm Beach County on Saturday, let me know, I have a few spots dialed up. The water is 74 degrees.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I did bring my 3/2, and based on what you're saying and tides, I'll hit it first thing in the morning. Probably will probably come straight east on 192 then head south and check the break like most of you recommended. Small chance I'll check out Playalinda; I usually like that kind of location.
    Now all I have to do is make sure the family plans don't conflict...
    Playalinda can be a great spot, but it's not really the type of place you just check if you're pressed for time. You're either surfing there or not, because it's in the middle of nowhere and takes a while to get to.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bethany beach
    Posts
    183
    Images
    7
    Nobody mentioned that none of the shops open until 9 or 10. In indialantic, going to Cocoa Ron Jon's.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    barefoot bay, FL
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I did bring my 3/2, and based on what you're saying and tides, I'll hit it first thing in the morning. Probably will probably come straight east on 192 then head south and check the break like most of you recommended. Small chance I'll check out Playalinda; I usually like that kind of location.
    Now all I have to do is make sure the family plans don't conflict...
    you can also come over on 520, check cocoa beach, then south on 1A1 through pafb, satellite beach, down to sebastian.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    bethany beach
    Posts
    183
    Images
    7
    For future reference, hardly anything is open in this area until 9 or 10am. I ended up going to Ron Jon to rent a board (which is a 24hr shop). Surf was waist at Tables, with a few bigger waves throughout the morning, but definitely glad I checked the surf and rented a log. Got a few waves and had a few good conversations with some local surfers.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singer Island
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    For future reference, hardly anything is open in this area until 9 or 10am. I ended up going to Ron Jon to rent a board (which is a 24hr shop). Surf was waist at Tables, with a few bigger waves throughout the morning, but definitely glad I checked the surf and rented a log. Got a few waves and had a few good conversations with some local surfers.
    The first time I ever went to Ron Jons was with my wife and kid during a Kidney Foundation Easter Surf Contest. It was late evening, their was fireworks off the Pier, then we went inside to buy stuff. A band was playing Beach Boys and other surf music inside the shop on the second floor, and it was one of the most awesome surf shopping experiences i have ever had.

    Glad you had fun. Did you happen to run into a guy with a white van giving away free surfboards?

  7. #17
    Cocoa actually faces southeast so wintertime swells aren't usually the best. Swells from the southeast like from storms and hurricanes are what hit Cocoa. Not to say you can't catch a few little decent ones. New Smyrna and Ponce (north side of the Inlet from NSB) are going to be your best chances. Probably the most consistent on the entire east coast! Best bet is to get there early though, if there are any decent waves the crowd of locals is going to be thick! At NSB there are several breaks and you can surf a little south of the Inlet to catch less of a crowd. If the swell is bigger than 2' - 3' you should be able to surf all the way down the beach.

    Sebastian is really sweet in the winter because the water is about 10 degrees warmer than NSB/Daytona etc... Problem is catching it at just the right time. Yes they get lots of swells this time of year however most cold fronts we get that come down seem to always stall right about the Sebastian line and where the cold front stalls it meets the warm caribbean air and really creates a good heavy wind thru there.

    As the forecast stands now.... NSB should be fun Thursday and actually Sebastian looks like chest high + for late Friday into Saturday and Sunday. Winds don't look to bad Friday and early Saturday but is showing to pick up at about 20+ mph on Sunday. Once again due to cold front coming thru and looks like its going to park around Sebastian.

    Thursday and Friday maybe a possibility for Cocoa. If you are thinking of heading to Sebastian get off a few exits early and check out Cocoa.

    Good luck, hope you score and hope we have some decent waves this week!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    4,049
    Quote Originally Posted by delawaredell View Post
    For future reference, hardly anything is open in this area until 9 or 10am. I ended up going to Ron Jon to rent a board (which is a 24hr shop). Surf was waist at Tables, with a few bigger waves throughout the morning, but definitely glad I checked the surf and rented a log. Got a few waves and had a few good conversations with some local surfers.
    It was closed out most of the morning on Saturday. Had hoped the 2pm high tide would push something better, but not. It was illusory: looking good as it propped up on that outer bar, then soft-cocking mush in the trough, then quickly pushing up again only to closeout hard in the shore pound.

    I was at Tables, too. Obviously. Saturday from 12-ish to 3pm or so. It was horrendous.
    Reminded me of a really lousy post-noreaster day at AI, when there's swell & clean lines coming in but the bars were all wacked out & not lined up.

    Early in the morning there were a few sections south of Cocoa Pier, with 25+ guys floating 9'8 longboards on it. After that......blech.

    Will vouch that there are some cool dudes in FLA, like you I also had decent convo with 'em while we all hoped for better in the ocean. One particular guy at Tables, cool dude, was standing in the slop with his super-short Dwart or LaZBoy and he was outstanding: doing 360's & he made something out of not much at all.
    Last edited by yankee; Jan 29, 2014 at 03:09 AM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,688
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    It was closed out most of the morning on Saturday. Had hoped the 2pm high tide would push something better, but not. It was illusory: looking good as it propped up on that outer bar, then soft-cocking mush in the trough, then quickly pushing up again only to closeout hard in the shore pound.

    I was at Tables, too. Obviously. Saturday from 12-ish to 3pm or so. It was horrendous.
    Reminded me of a really lousy post-noreaster day at AI, when there's swell & clean lines coming in but the bars were all wacked out & not lined up.

    Early in the morning there were a few sections south of Cocoa Pier, with 25+ guys floating 9'8 longboards on it. After that......blech.

    Will vouch that there are some cool dudes in FLA, like you I also had decent convo with 'em while we all hoped for better in the ocean. One particular guy at Tables, cool dude, was standing in the slop with his super-short Dwart or LaZBoy and he was outstanding: doing 360's & he made something out of not much at all.
    Dude, we just missed each other, and I believe you missed the goods by a couple hours. I was there at sunrise till about 11, was inconsistent but really fun when they came through, I went back later on to find it flat, was a small window that day but during that window I caught some solid long rides, some decent size on some of them too. Too bad we didn't run into each other Yank, shoot me a line next time you're in the area.