LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Firewire's Linear Flex Technology -

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/li...technology.php

Do y'all think this is hype with a big name or a legit new technology? I'm still unsure. I wonder if it is meant to counter the high buckle rate of the FST/RF.

keep in mind i haven't seen one in person yet, BUT...based on this statement from firewire's website:

"LFT incorporates Firewire’s new SPRINGER HD, a 0.75” (18 mm) wide aerospace composite that runs down the centerline of the board, representing the next generation in our SPRINGER technology. Unlike the original balsa SPRINGER build which only added stiffness under the front foot, the SPRINGER HD runs the entire length of the board and plays a pivotal role in optimizing flex from nose to tail. "

it sounds like they've gone & added a version of the traditional stringer. time will tell, but it seems like they may be finding that a more traditional construction method, albeit tweaked, is better performing.

I just thought it was interesting because the TOMO Vanguard has a very high buckle rate from its natural straight rails and I saw they have it on that model, as well as others.

I am thinking adding a little flex to some boards may help there strength while performing maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    I just thought it was interesting because the TOMO Vanguard has a very high buckle rate from its natural straight rails and I saw they have it on that model, as well as others.
    does it? where did you hear that?

I am thinking adding a little flex to some boards may help there strength while performing maneuvers.
    seems like they're actually adding a bit of backbone to the boards...wouldn't the "springer", as they call it, act a little like a spine & stiffen the board?
    i think it's very interesting that they're introducing this tech not long after their premier surfer, taj, parted ways w/ them & had 2 of his more successful seasons on tour.

Well I will admit. The buckling stories are mostly on forums. Here is one with some picks.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...-dream-is-over

that's interesting. being as they're so new here on the east coast, there's not a whole lot of feedback on the tomo line just yet. it'll be interesting to see if that trend shows up here as the designs catch on & more people start riding them.

Thumbs up squire firewire

my dominator works well dependably - especially backside. think the technology is called f s t .
    my potatonator less so, kinda 'wave specific' but VERY FAST the rare days i actually do dial it in.

I wonder if the rapid increase in demand means they're not fully curing their boards before sale, or maybe they're skipping the post cure step or some other shortcut...

I wonder if it is meant to counter the high buckle rate of the FST/RF.
    It wouldn't surprise me if it is... makes sense.

I'm always leery of claims referring to "enhanced flex," or "better flex pattern," and vagueries like that. What does that mean? Why not say what it does? If they mean, stiffens, or dampens, or faster flex return, or whatever... just say it. Vague claims like that make me think they're not sure what they mean, and definitely don't want to say what they mean if they do because it might not be what the rider is looking for. Better keep things vague so they appeal to all potential buyers. Who doesn't want "better" or "enhanced" anything?

Never had any issues with the FST construction boards but a buddy of mine had a "Rapid Fire" Spitfire that buckled. Looks like the Vanguard is made with "White Rapid Fire" construction. They say it's lighter but not as strong as the FST. Could be why they're adding the "Linear Flex" to it.