LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fin Advice

Fin Advice

Having some trouble adjusting to a new board. It's a Chemistry 5'9" Beaker Comp. Just can't get it to loosen up. Can't even get the board to react to my efforts to pump down the line. I have boards that just go wherever I want them to, it's like they are glued to my feet. Don't even have to think how to get the board from point A to B, if I want to do it, the board just follows... Not this board, I have trouble getting that first pump in after the bottom turn...

I've surfed it in small waves, good waves (overhead Costa), mushy waves, steep faces... I've also put the WCT TechFlex fins in, and the AM1 Blackstix. Neither helped.

I got some advice that you really have to surf off your back foot with small boards like these, and I'm more of a front foot surfer.

Should I put bigger fins in (Pancho's or AM2's), trying to build speed which will hopefully loosen it up, or should I go with smaller fins (F4's) and hope that loosens it up?

Any advice is appreciated.

Images
    idk maybe its just you, i felt the same way on my 5 fin board but after a while i was able to get it down and had a blast.

Think I just need to realize that a board with very little rocker, and one as wide with thicker rails isn't gonna be as responsive as my HPSB.... Just looking for advice for fin suggestions though to make this even just a little better.

And yeah, hoping that I have that one wave where I get a rhythm going on it and it just clicks... but right now, what I'm able to do on a typical wave with this board is very limited compared to other boards, and its pissing me off...

Images
    i have a 5,8 and put some median k2s on it and it had small fins on it. the median find help. but with the waves being so small here if im not right on the peak i wont get enough speed to head down the line. i know what your saying when its hard to pump down the line. the back foot plays a big role on those small hpsb. i never get to ride it and when i do the board is crazy responsive and feels like a 2x4.

is it a thruster? Try mixing fins? Put a bigger side fin in and smaller center.

Try smaller fins all around. Chances are it still won't do what you want it to do, but it will loosen it up a little. I'm not a big fan of Chemistry boards, despite their popularity. Maybe with the focus of the design being "small waves," a lot of the performance features were compromised. A lot of flat, thick, wide-tailed boards feel stiff to people used to standard hpsbs.

Lightbulb hard to say…..

this just a guess …. is your boards' thickness adequate for your size/weight/experience?
    also u using 4fins? try 3.

To answer the question of volume, yes, it's actually a little higher. My HPSB is 28.6 liters, this board is 31.6. If anything, that should let it ride higher in the water and be more responsive (in theory).

and its a thruster set up, no quad option.

Lightbulb ok - in spirit of cooperation heres' three more tries...

1) is your (heavy, wet, thick) wetsuit an issue?
    2) are you too big to be riding a 5/9?
    3) do you use and believe in fishes? could be a 'bumpy transition' thing….assuming your board
    is basically a standard s/board.

if not, well, i too am stumped.