LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Which is the best forecast site?

So I get up before sunrise this morning for my usual Dawn Patrol and check the forecasts before heading out the door. I couldn't check the cam because it was still dark out, but I look at the buoy - which is 1/4 mile from my break. It is saying approx. 5.4ft significant and 8.2 maximum @10secs, but I don't completely trust it because it has been reading a little high (IMHO) since it's last maintenance.

The forecasts are so different from each other that I don't know what to make of them... I usually check SI and SL, but today I looked at MSW as well because of all the hoopla, even tho' their closest break to me is an hour or so away.

Here are the screen grabs from all three and a couple of pictures of the surf. Who do you think came closest to a correct forecast?

Screenshot (13).jpgScreenshot (14).jpgScreenshot (15).jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

(IMO, MSW is an automatic fail for not having a forecast for my part of the coast, but I stuck it in there for shigs and tiggles)

Disclaimer: I am NOT the guy in the speedo. I just took the photo to get a perspective of the wave size with someone on it!

A few years ago i did a 30 day analysis of various forecasting sites (sadly I no longer have the data) but MSW was freaking laughable. SI and SL were very close with a small edge to SI. This was for NJ/DEL/MD only.

dont think i can judge it from two pictures. MSW sucked for so long that i dont even check it anymore and havent for several years. surfline has been overforecasting everything recently. SI has been pretty spot on. Im in Ocean City NJ.

Images
    I wouldn't be here if SI didn't do the best job.
    I guess you had some fun today regaurdless.

SI and Surf Guru my local choice anyway.

From my analysis between msw nesurf and si I find this one to be the most accurate. Most my surf buddies use msw though lol.

The guy in the pic has awesome shorts. As for accuracy, I use both SI and surf line

Images
    dude i always see mwd as the worst they under predict everything. si and surfline are usually pretty close to each other.

Images
    Only SI, everything else really only focuses on the most popular spots in the region.

Buoyweather is the one I trust most. This site is pretty accurate, not a big fan of Surfline and MSW has it's days. I generally look at them all and take the sum of what they say. Looking out the window beats them all though. If you can't do that check the cams.