LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeZnaty View Post
    sailquik i might have surfed with you either sunday or monday i was in puerto rico and surfed those 2 days and i even saw that guy in the speedo before paddling out. what kind of board were u riding?

Attachment 10161
    Me? I'm the kook with the blue 7'6" and the orange rashguard. I hope I didn't drop in on you.

So much for forum anonymity, now I've gotta watch what I say!

For charleston area, SI and SL are fairly accurate if you know the right breaks and sand bars. MSW is never accurate and I don't recommend it. Haven't used any other sites, other than NOAA for wind and buoy info.

I was down there too but I sure have a different take on Friday the 24. Where were you surfing. I was in Rincon friday and it was double overhead, 7 ft at 13 seconds I believe. I dont care what the report says, If i see a guy riding a wave and its twice his height, its freakin double overhead. By Friday eve it was solid DOH. We went to bridges to get some relief on friday as we had been up all night and I just didnt have it in me to charge that. Sat the 25th we surfed dogmans with 2-4 ft OH on the sets, offshore got to use the new Rich Price channel bottom. That thing flies, I love it. Maybe a tad too much rocker as you had to take off pretty late to get em but once your up it really tracks and handles well. Surfed wildo sun, mon & tues, all head high. the repot ranged from 2-4+ (SI) and 2-3 Tuesday but head high sets. All in all a great trip. SI was the best forecast. MSW is a joke. Even Rincon surf report was calling flat for Sunday and called it a magical pulse, although we knew it was coming. Then Monday Rincon Surf Report said another magical pulse when SI had it at 2-4. Kudos SI

sailquik where did you surf sunday and monday?

sj.jpg

North coast PR.

Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post

sj.jpg

North coast PR.
    yea thats exactly where i surfed, i was the 17 year old on a shortboard with no rashguard or shirt on

the wind was light everywhere sun. Monday and Tuesday we went to wildo, offshore early then turning more north in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    For charleston area, SI and SL are fairly accurate if you know the right breaks and sand bars. MSW is never accurate and I don't recommend it. Haven't used any other sites, other than NOAA for wind and buoy info.
    They're also accurate up here in NY/NJ. And when traveling I expect an average between them, which is accurate enough as long as you can get to the buoy data and have an idea of which winds, tides, and swell directions work wherever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by sailquik View Post
    No one got the wind right this week. The wind forecasts are correct for the afternoon, but they were always wrong in the morning.
    I don't pay attention to tides or wind on the surf sites -- just swell and long range charts, and if for some reason I can't access charts on SL I use FNMOC animations. It's been a long time since I used Windguru but it looks much better now.

I use the wind forecasts on NOAA and the hourly weather graphs are usually spot on, but if there's a question of where to surf based on when a front comes through or where a low is located, I head to the wind-map model data on the WunderMap. No better place for model data, imo, because you can flip between different models and maps, forward and reverse, and it's so easy a caveman could do it.

And for tides I use the no-nonsense http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/520.html

yea thats exactly where i surfed, i was the 17 year old on a shortboard with no rashguard or shirt on
    Sorry I missed you, you must have been further inside (at #3?) in the photo I posted, which is much better (steeper and more powerful) for a shortboard. If that's where you were, I'm guessing there were a lot of nice waves that were already occupied by longboards by the time they got to you...

Next time you're in SJ, there's a handful of other places you may want to try on a hpsb.

You pinged me for advice & swell reports on Barbados, kid. Never heard back from you after I posted you some info. Don't bother thanking me, you've rolled like that before.

How was it?