LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: losing forum freedom?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • hell yeah we are

    5 45.45%
  • damn no we aint

    3 27.27%
  • mericas freedom will prevail

    3 27.27%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: censorship

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tinton Falls, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    446
    Images
    16
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of having religious stuff thrown at me either, but Wayne makes one thread once a month or so. He is not mean or does really break any rules. LIke MFitz said, ignore the topics you aren't interested in.

    How does that comic go?
    Sorry Honey, I cant come to bed right now, someone is wrong on the internet?
    Wayne cant save everyone, and either can anyone of us.
    Last edited by SI_Admin; Jan 25, 2014 at 04:34 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    1,776
    Quote Originally Posted by SI_Admin View Post
    Things were actually going pretty smooth up until last week, and so the moderators fell asleep at the wheel.
    Sorry, but that's BS. This place has been going down hill since last spring. Quality of posts and forum member interaction declined because a small subset of personalities where allowed to dominate the forum through their obnoxiousness. These guys should have been banned from the get go when it became obvious that their presence was a source of rancor but a complete vacuum of leadership allowed them to stay and keep posting whatever they felt like. And the forum kept getting worse. Guys who are actually core and have a wealth of experience to share, stopped posting. Senior members stopped caring. Have you ever been to a martial arts dojo that loses a bunch of it's black and brown belts? The dojo dies, usually because the owner does something to cause animosity with his senior instructors or because of his or her (I guess, never been to a dojo run by a lady) apathy.

    You want to fix it, well this is a good start, stop letting the inmates run the asylum.

    In the absence of authorities leadership, the most unstable and irrational personality or personalities in any group dynamic will assert themselves and take control, this is called the Principle of the Bull Goose Looney.

    You want to fix it, institute a policy of peer moderation, require memberships to be approved by a moderator, and select moderators from your former core users and put the control of this forum into the hands of people like Erock, LBCrew and NJSurfer42 and out of the hands of people like me. Personally, I think one of my best posts ever was telling people how to lock themselves out of their accounts.



    I used to really like posting here and reading what other people thought about surfing.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    One thing I will say that MSW does that I think is cool is they take any thread that is turing into a poo flinging match and put it in a section called caught inside, that way people can continue to comment if they like but it is off the main page. Kind of funny that they seem to have more freedom of speech than an American forum and we here in the US pride our selves on freedom of speech, or so I've heard. I am on a few other forums (guitar, tennis and golf ones) and am a mod on one of them, I agree that members should not threaten one another due to liability issues if one goes and harms or kills another but insulting people as an infraction seems a little like a grade school classroom rule. I mean "telling on someone" for insulting you is what my 8 year old does in his second grade classroom. How does the saying go: Stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tinton Falls, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    446
    Images
    16
    Well, I should say, we had a period of time when things were going smooth, when the moderator I assigned to look over things was looking over things. Not sure who to trust to moderate properly and not be unfairly biased. The job of a moderator, isn't to engage in topics, but to simply do the moderating. When people have authority, sometimes they abuse it.

  5. #25
    well said
    I have no problem arguing over stupid conspiracy theory every once in a while, but there has been nothing interesting in months

    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Sorry, but that's BS. This place has been going down hill since last spring. Quality of posts and forum member interaction declined because a small subset of personalities where allowed to dominate the forum through their obnoxiousness. These guys should have been banned from the get go when it became obvious that their presence was a source of rancor but a complete vacuum of leadership allowed them to stay and keep posting whatever they felt like. And the forum kept getting worse. Guys who are actually core and have a wealth of experience to share, stopped posting. Senior members stopped caring. Have you ever been to a martial arts dojo that loses a bunch of it's black and brown belts? The dojo dies, usually because the owner does something to cause animosity with his senior instructors or because of his or her (I guess, never been to a dojo run by a lady) apathy.

    You want to fix it, well this is a good start, stop letting the inmates run the asylum.

    In the absence of authorities leadership, the most unstable and irrational personality or personalities in any group dynamic will assert themselves and take control, this is called the Principle of the Bull Goose Looney.

    You want to fix it, institute a policy of peer moderation, require memberships to be approved by a moderator, and select moderators from your former core users and put the control of this forum into the hands of people like Erock, LBCrew and NJSurfer42 and out of the hands of people like me. Personally, I think one of my best posts ever was telling people how to lock themselves out of their accounts.



    I used to really like posting here and reading what other people thought about surfing.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tinton Falls, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    446
    Images
    16
    Well, one route is to make this forum about SURFING. Anything, not related at all to SURFING is prohibited. That removes all the excess junk that people want to get carried away with. This is, intended to be a surf discussion forum.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by retracR View Post
    One thing I will say that MSW does that I think is cool is they take any thread that is turing into a poo flinging match and put it in a section called caught inside, that way people can continue to comment if they like but it is off the main page. Kind of funny that they seem to have more freedom of speech than an American forum and we here in the US pride our selves on freedom of speech, or so I've heard. I am on a few other forums (guitar, tennis and golf ones) and am a mod on one of them, I agree that members should not threaten one another due to liability issues if one goes and harms or kills another but insulting people as an infraction seems a little like a grade school classroom rule. I mean "telling on someone" for insulting you is what my 8 year old does in his second grade classroom. How does the saying go: Stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
    I have zero problem with the admin steps taken over the last couple days. Its about time. the majority content of this forum over the past 6plus months has been just a huge pile of stinky donkey crap.

  8. #28
    I think that's going a bit too far, but I understand why you would need to do that.
    I do enjoy having off topic discussions with other surfers, but it's just gotten ridiculous lately. Every single thing that everyone types seems to have to be a joke.
    It's ok to say stupid sh!t and have arguments, but when it's just obnoxious not funny crap all day every day it is not enjoyable.


    Quote Originally Posted by SI_Admin View Post
    Well, one route is to make this forum about SURFING. Anything, not related at all to SURFING is prohibited. That removes all the excess junk that people want to get carried away with. This is, intended to be a surf discussion forum.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tinton Falls, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    446
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I have zero problem with the admin steps taken over the last couple days. Its about time. the majority content of this forum over the past 6plus months has been just a huge pile of stinky donkey crap.
    I'd prefer not to have to do this duty, because, like I said I try to spend my time on developing and working on the rest of the site. But, your right, its absolutely necessary to run a good forum that has boundaries.

    If someone wants this task, pm me(SI_MOD), and i'll look over you history to see if your someone I think I can trust to keep things in check.

    Thank you,

  10. I give it a month

    I was old member who posted all the time, gave advice and learned a lot. Stopped posting because of all the childish BS and 'hate.' Still checked the site out but recently less and less. This is not longer a surfing forum it's a childish ball breaking hate forum. Surfing is about tradition, etiquette, and respect. All of that has been lost on this site. Rcarter and his cronies were a contributing factor. I give this site a month tops unless all the bs stops, and it's brought back to surfing.