LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Go Mac. More expensive up front but no worry about viruses, etc. Went Mac and I'll never go back! I have an iMac, iPad and iPhone. Use the iPad constantly; at under 500 bucks a great purchase. For what I do, way better than any laptop.

^^^ Agree the iPad works much better at times than the Mac Book does.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    I've always bought HP Pavillions. My current unit is intermittently fugging up. shuts down after being on for a while. sometimes screen looks pixalated and I have to turn off.

what kind do you guys have? Anyone have a Mac? I hear the new one is suppose to be something special.

btw, your issues sound like might be solved with a good cleaning of your processor fan, heat sync, your graphics card fan, maybe a new round of thermal paste - overheated pc's shut down.

that being said. i can relate - bought a new pc a few months ago. lot of valid points in this thread...here's a couple more:

- bare bones kits are an awesome way to save money and learning to put it together yourself is valuable, if you've never done it. the box i just bought is the first time i didn't take that route, because i wanted a legit OS for once and figured in that case, might as well let someone else put it together. buying an OS on top of a bare bones kit brings you pretty close to what you'll pay for a good system.

- Windows 8 is a dog. i work with end users professionally and everybody hates it. fortunately, there are smoking hot deals online that offer W7 as an alternate option to W8. buy W7 - it will be just fine for the next 5 years or more, just as xp as been fine for the last 10.

- Apple has repositioned itself into technology for people who really don't care to understand how technology works. if you are one of those people, than you their demographic. my mac users used to know far more about their devices than i did - now they're the most clueless end users i have. i also don't appreciate the walled garden approach that Apple employs - i prefer a device that will run whatever i want. but that's just me.

-in the balance of performance to money, unless you are a power gamer or advanced graphics user or you don't care about price, you can spend $500-$600 and get a powerful Windows solid pc that should be good for years. buy it with a credit card that doubles the warranty and you're golden.

btw, the pc i just bought is an Asus with an i5 processor, 8 gigs of ram, blah blah blah for under $600. no complaints.

Images
    based on the title of this thread, i thought this was for a new scaffolding for surf comps lol. anyway, there's some good info info in here. thanks guys

thanks for the input. valid points on both sides of mac. Best Buy has a 5g ram, 500g mem HP Pavillion for $288. you think all new components would be that cheap for rebuild? Don't need much in a tower. most of my info is on external harddrives. Just need it to find "free" stuff and check waves.

My MacBook is 5 years old and you can barely use it. We are on the second battery, and it doesn't hold a charge. The OS is painfully slow. We even deleted everything and started from scratch a few years ago. I would never buy another Mac PC. My self built tower lasted 10 years, and only get retired because the main HDD finally gave out. I would personally go for a boutique PC or laptop. I am not an apple hater, btw. My iPhone 4S has given me over 2 years of reliable service, and the new 5s seems just as good.

I will say Brew is right, for the past two years the battery on my Mac Book has not worked right. It always has to be plugged in, not a big deal since I only use it at home and if I need to be unplugged I use the iPad, but still a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    btw, your issues sound like might be solved with a good cleaning of your processor fan, heat sync, your graphics card fan, maybe a new round of thermal paste - overheated pc's shut down.
    I think that's the problem. I unhooked it and drug it out for close inspection. Behind the fan the cooling fins were clogged with enough hair to make another dog.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    based on the title of this thread, i thought this was for a new scaffolding for surf comps lol. anyway, there's some good info info in here. thanks guys
    Haha, that's exactly what I thought too!

I'm a Mac user, never had an issue and I think they are so much easier to use than a pc. My wife's a graphic designer, pc's can't run the programs she uses for crap. That, and Macs are essentially silent while pc's can often sound like mini jet engines.

Probably need to clean the filter Holmes. Too much resin

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    I think that's the problem. I unhooked it and drug it out for close inspection. Behind the fan the cooling fins were clogged with enough hair to make another dog.