LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    21N 158W give or take
    Posts
    1,351
    I agree with Yank and DSUP....with too much policing we wont get to read the ramblings of the author of this gem who sent me a PM before the boot:
    _________________________________________________
    So, I'll probably be banned soon. But that's ok. Banning just creates Swellinfo legends..... My spirit will always be there to haunt you, MIS.......always.
    Last edited by MakeItStop; Jan 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    277
    Just curious, what is the worst thing that could happen to a thread? Can people do real harm? I'm trying not to sound uneducated but i'm just unsure.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    2,609
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Got that right.

    I received two infarctions: including one for "trolling" for posting inoffensive, bland lyrics by Jim Morrison (who was a very good SURFER, which was the whole POINT)

    Again, I do believe that this Forum had its own self-policing thing going on. Just like a surfing lineup. Newbies paid a few dues, and eventually earned respect. Thread hijackers were treated with disdain, much as wave hijackers are treated in the ocean.

    There were kooks, and characters, and opinionated goofballs, and some good information. And a lot of yah-yah, too - - just like the world.

    I mean, how many wetsuit threads can there seriously be...? We had threads on here about favorite beers, favorite post-surf grinds, favorite concerts, favorite pre-surf music, made up stories about fellow posters (inoffensive) and there were petty flare-ups & dustups that always resolved themselves.

    It's called an online community. For better orworse, it has all types of things going on. Policing it, especially as aggressively as this simod4 character is doing, will just destroy everything that made this site worth visiting.

    Admittedly, the MSW gig was over-the-top. A bit carried away. Ok, let's move on. Let the guys come back, the banned ones, and let things simmer down & work itself out.

    I know, this post could get me banned for whatever is itching simod4's anonymous britches. But, at the end of the day this Forum was, and is, about surfers. Surfers who talk about anything & everything.

    My two centavos, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    This whole thing has gotten blown way out of proportion SI Admin... yes you. Let the people have freedom of speech. The whole MSW thing was a bit over the line yes, BUT, once you stepped in and put a stop to it, people backed off and apologized, not the end of the world, and MSW probably benefited from it anyways with the extra clicks they received. Sure they got pissed off about it but so what, it's not like the interweb is going to crumble because a few people got all up tight.

    This forum has been truly interesting since I joined and has kept me coming back because of the all the different personalities and freedom of expression that goes down here. You putting a gag order in place will only turn this forum into a vanilla POS. I have never had an infraction, and quite honestly, I don't care if I get one now. I've posted plenty here and believe i'm someone that could "moderate" for you but F that, I don't want that gig. I once said that people should keep the posts "surf related" and I got torched for it, and rightfully so. Looking back i'm disappointed in myself for even saying something remotely close to that. In case you haven't noticed, 99% of your REGULAR users that frequent this site and make up the majority of the posts are 100% against your censorship attempt. Just take a moment to re-evaluate this situation and I think you'll find this place is better off left the way it is (or was). For what it's worth...
    Well said gentlemen. And yet againe, I learned something new here, had no clue that Jim Morrison surfed.

    #Mr.MojoRisin'

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gnomes Suck
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM View Post
    Just curious, what is the worst thing that could happen to a thread? Can people do real harm? I'm trying not to sound uneducated but i'm just unsure.
    If you argue to much it could rip a hole in the time space continuum and destroy the whole universe!

    Oh and I agree with Seldom on agreeing with Yankee and Dawn Patrol SUP. Also I did my senior project on The Doors and played in a Doors cover band and had no idea he surfed either.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern Monmouth
    Posts
    71
    Great just when I started getting over big brother watching, SI had to go and designate a big brother.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    The whole MSW thing was a bit over the line yes, BUT, once you stepped in and put a stop to it, people backed off and apologized, not the end of the world, and MSW probably benefited from it anyways with the extra clicks they received. Sure they got pissed off about it but so what, it's not like the interweb is going to crumble because a few people got all up tight.
    'Sup guys, just to clarify, MSW doesn't need clicks, there's no advertising, the forum is run on a shoestring server hanging off the back of some dusty tower in a warehouse in Devon somewhere, that's why the PhPbb is ancient and there's no plans to upgrade. I am the only Mod who regularly looks in and since I emigrated to Oz it is hard to keep tabs. Not that this is some kind of sob story, just putting it in context you know.

    The forum is pretty much self policing, I don't have to step in too often anyway, just check new sign ups and approve. Rarely do things kick off so maybe you'll understand why I reacted as I did to the evidence I had.

    Anyway, censorship is not a good thing, loose moderation and a forum that is benign anarchy is good as long as people afford each other a level of respect. Levels of respect seem to be entirely subjective though so that's where it falls back to the moderation philosophy, which means the moderation policy has to be iterative and measured, take note of what the community commit to in terms of behaviour and adjust accordingly. It's definitely a two way street though, bit of quid pro quo innit.

    just my 2c anyway, you guys are welcome to come and look in if you want to contribute, although as a Brit forum you might not be interested. Also, if you wanna write posts like PrinceWilliam we probably have enough of that crap to enjoy just now

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by JLCx2 View Post
    just my 2c anyway, you guys are welcome to come and look in if you want to contribute, although as a Brit forum you might not be interested. Also, if you wanna write posts like PrinceWilliam we probably have enough of that crap to enjoy just now
    it's pretty hard to come and look in when you permanently ban my ip address...really, man...look at the posts that i wrote on there and granted, they were comical...but not vulgar or threatening in any way. i believe you may have overreacted a little, my friend...

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    it's pretty hard to come and look in when you permanently ban my ip address...really, man...look at the posts that i wrote on there and granted, they were comical...but not vulgar or threatening in any way. i believe you may have overreacted a little, my friend...

    What do you expect from a bunch of people who get excited about a sport that honors tie scores and melodramatic 'injuries'.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    What do you expect from a bunch of people who get excited about a sport that honors tie scores and melodramatic 'injuries'.
    Haha!
    Also, MSW needs to just delete SC from the forecasting section. It is almost always inaccurate, even for the same day.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Haha!
    Also, MSW needs to just delete SC from the forecasting section. It is almost always inaccurate, even for the same day.
    They should just delete the entire east coast. 52 feet??!! Silly limeys, only Belmar can hold that size.