LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    While this board may not be appealing to you (or me), it was meant to look like this. I've seen a few shapers use this unfinished look before.
    Those look like sand-throughs on the front rails! If true, this has got to be the first time I've ever seen glassing mistakes as intentional board art. Unfinished looking is one thing, damaged during sand out is another.
    Last edited by scotty; Jan 28, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Just got off the phone with LH. The board is vacuum bagged by CoreVac Composites in Melbourne, Florida. Doesn't explain the artwork, but you won't have to worry about dinging this tank!

Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post
    isn't $500-$700 pretty standard for a new shortboard these days? i don't get the issue. the glass job looks wonky i guess?
    Most people would have an issue with the poor quality/appearance of the board, and the high-end price tag. When people pay a lot, they expect a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Losttsol View Post
    Not really, but depends where you are. When I lived down there, Longboard House was much more expensive for their boards compared to other shops. They carried a larger variety though.
    Yea, their prices are at the very high end. That's one of the main reasons I was so shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Southsidesurfer View Post
    Do you know who shapes it? Is it like an in house shaper? It also looks like somebody really screwed up on a step deck... Not a good board.
    I regret not looking to see who was the shaper. But at the end of the day someone at Cannibal is in charge of Quality Control and they allowed those boards leave the factory.
    Not the best choice, when you're trying to build or maintain a brand.

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    the glass job looks god awful. you can see the cloth where the sanding went wrong. who knows, maybe it's some kind of fancy proprietary construction, or maybe the glasser indulged in too many bong rips before work that day. either way, i'd laugh at the price and move on.
    On the rare chance that it is some cutting edge proprietary construction method, given the unfavorable ascetics, it should have remained a research and development board, not a ready for the marketplace board.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby View Post
    If it's an established local brand, I'm guessing they're just trying the raw/distressed relic look. Don't know why companies do this dirty "relic" look because it doesn't seem very popular on surfboards (kinda like the McRib: it's disgusting, but keeps popping up every year or so). Maybe the shop has some sort of contract with Cannibal that they have to charge full price...if it doesn't sell, it'll probably end up on the internet at discount. I wouldn't buy a board that looked like that.
    In the two decades of being an avid surfer and the countless surf shops I've visited around the world, I have never seen boards that looked like this. I seriously doubt that any other professional "companies" would release a board of this quality. LH has over 300 surfboards and none of them looked like that. I also visited a variety of other surf shops in the Cocoa Beach area that week, including hundreds of surfboards at Ron Jon's, and I never came across anything that looked like that.
    If you have proof that other pro companies are selling boards like that, please upload comparison photos. I'd love to see them.

Bro, you know you can reply to all 5 of those posts in a single post. You click the bottom right quotations plus sign icon for each post you want to quote. I get lazy and respond to singular posts when I could double them up sometimes but 5 bro, that's like listening to one of my monologues circa last spring. Painful for the reader! I've come to realize that.

Anywayz, what did that stick weigh? I def think it will get scoffed at by most but sell off the shelf quick to someone who likes standing out for whatever reason and into novel items. Can't argue too much with a more indestructible board than most of us ride. How good is that primo glass job looking on a CI after it's kissed a reef a few times and you've mishandled it between the house and truck?

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Cannibal has been around since the early 90's, if not earlier. Well established label and shaped in Florida. While this board may not be appealing to you (or me), it was meant to look like this. I've seen a few shapers use this unfinished look before. Usually hit-or-miss in the eyes of the buyer and I'm sure this board will be gone the next time you go back.

Longboard House runs a pretty tight ship. They probably sold through their inventory over the holiday season and/or you caught them in between shipments. Did you ask them about the board? Or why it's priced at $699?

Unfortunately all of the Cannibal boards on their rack looked like this. Take a look at the photo, you'll see the board in the background suffers from the same shortcomings.

Oh I agree... I believe that the boards will be gone relatively quickly, but I disagree why they'll have left. I don't think it's because they sold to a customer. I think it'll be because they were bought/sent back to the manufacturer.

"Unfinished" matte finish is one thing we're all familiar with, so flawed construction is something completely different and easily recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Bro, you know you can reply to all 5 of those posts in a single post. You click the bottom right quotations plus sign icon for each post you want to quote. I get lazy and respond to singular posts when I could double them up sometimes but 5 bro, that's like listening to one of my monologues circa last spring. Painful for the reader! I've come to realize that.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll use it in the future.