LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Question firewire flex

its fair to consider me an experienced weekend warrior; as such i (really) don't feel flex.
    should i (assuming in a turn/offdalip/stall) be?? or is the flex we are talking about an
    on land thing to use as an example??

I feel flex (or lack of it) most under two conditions... in the pocket, and when pumping for speed. You'd intuitively think that you'd feel it most during a turn, but like it's been said... where your feet are placed is not where you'll feel flex.... all the bending that I can feel happens ahead of and behind your feet through a turn. When you're in the pocket, the whole board bends, including between your feet, and when you pump... well... every board has a resonance, and if you're pumping in time with that frequency, you can generate speed much more efficiently than if you're pumping out of sync or even against that frequency.

One thing....Firewire is done...I don't see many people riding them anymore...the people that I know that have them seem to hate them...I think the Firewire craze is coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    One thing....Firewire is done...I don't see many people riding them anymore...the people that I know that have them seem to hate them...I think the Firewire craze is coming to an end.
    you must be onto something.. i was wondering why ...lost, lsd, and tomo continue to run with firewire, and now pyzel is on board as well.. must be because its a dying company with tech that doesn't work.. pure genius

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I feel flex (or lack of it) most under two conditions... in the pocket, and when pumping for speed. You'd intuitively think that you'd feel it most during a turn, but like it's been said... where your feet are placed is not where you'll feel flex.... all the bending that I can feel happens ahead of and behind your feet through a turn. When you're in the pocket, the whole board bends, including between your feet, and when you pump... well... every board has a resonance, and if you're pumping in time with that frequency, you can generate speed much more efficiently than if you're pumping out of sync or even against that frequency.
    Or maybe if it was a little stiffer on those pumping turns through the bowl we could go faster by maintaining the straighter hull lines the board had static as shaped with no bottom turn weight on it? Maybe why a fresh PU board feels quicker, snappier and has more glide than an old one. Don't know about any frequency resonance though, maybe that is you finding the angle of the keels under you heel and toe as you change rails on turns. Someone said there is a frequency resonance generator being developed by far war right now. Supposed to attract peaks and fend off snakes and chandy hangers. Can't wait.

Unhappy (uh-oh)

since my fav hpsb is a firewire (dominator, similar outlines for jobs' new quiver) please tell
    me why f/w is done…has another train left w/o me??

All rigid materials have a natural frequency that they vibrate at. A surfboard, even though it's a bunch of different materials put together into a single object, does too. If you've ever seen super slow motion video of guys landing airs, or surfboard sections being snapped, etc. you'd see that flex and springback clearly. Different boards, of different designs and constructions, will vibrate at different rates. If you pump a surfboard so that it's in rhythm with those vibrations you can more effectively pump for speed. Try it... you'll see. Pump your board at different speeds and you'll notice a difference in how effective the pumping is.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    All rigid materials have a natural frequency that they vibrate at. A surfboard, even though it's a bunch of different materials put together into a single object, does too. If you've ever seen super slow motion video of guys landing airs, or surfboard sections being snapped, etc. you'd see that flex and springback clearly. Different boards, of different designs and constructions, will vibrate at different rates. If you pump a surfboard so that it's in rhythm with those vibrations you can more effectively pump for speed. Try it... you'll see. Pump your board at different speeds and you'll notice a difference in how effective the pumping is.
    Kinda like playing music. Thanks for the insight wave guru!

I like my Firewire a lot. lots of people in OCMD ride them. DE too.

From what i can see, Firewire is not done at all. I personally love firewire for many reasons:

1) The boards have a longer life than PU boards.
    2) Firewire was the first to really embrace the concept of volume, which is now widely used by most companies.
    3) They have great shapes - especially on the small wave side, which is great for EC
    4) My favorite surf shop stocks them, so that helps too! hah
    5) They are all about innovations - for better or worse, it's great to see companies trying new tech. Some tech will be better than others, but surfboard tech will never go anywhere without companies willing to push the envelope.