LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

surf trip training

hey folks.. traveling to panama (santa catalina) on march 31st and trying to train for it this time. been to Nica (popoyo) twice, second time didnt surf much 3 months prior to the trip and pretty much struggled to catch waves for the first 5 days.. not going to let that happen this time.

im surfing about 2-3 times a week if theres any waves, AND started swimming everyday last week. right now im doing 2000m in 45minutes, how good do you think this is? also try to hit the gym and weight some lifts 2 times a week.

All I have to say is "LUCKY"

Good luck with that

2000 m in 45 min is good. It takes me 50 min but I am old and the first half is a warm up. I do 100 m intervals x 8 with 20 seconds rest to get your wind back. The best thing I did before my last trip to Costa was paddle/run/swims. Paddle up and back, run down, swim back. Make the distance one way about a mile so it takes a while, then increase the distance. Paddling was the most important part of the conditioning. Have fun!

Typically, my most recent workout routine included heavy doses of cardio, TRX, and surfing with a bit of rest. However, I jumped on a similar routine as you last year and developed a severe case of tendinitis/bursitis (swimmers shoulder) in my left shoulder. Took me months to rehab and I again pushed it a bit too far a few weeks ago...PT and no surf for a few weeks. All this to say...it may be worth it to speak to a trainer, etc. to get a professional opinion and routine...just an opinion/perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by sisurfdogg View Post
    2000 m in 45 min is good. It takes me 50 min but I am old and the first half is a warm up. I do 100 m intervals x 8 with 20 seconds rest to get your wind back. The best thing I did before my last trip to Costa was paddle/run/swims. Paddle up and back, run down, swim back. Make the distance one way about a mile so it takes a while, then increase the distance. Paddling was the most important part of the conditioning. Have fun!
    woah, thanks. im only 20 so I guess I should be doing it in less time, but take in consideration I only started a week ago and this time should come down quickly.

ilive4truth, will probably take your advice and talk to a trainer/pro on the matter! I would most deff not like to get a shoulder injury prior to my surf trip!

also, the place im swimming at is also a gym, and host TRX classes a couple days a week, will probably look into that also!

I would say do push ups too. THose helped my paddling power a ton.

Yea my PT stated that my issue was due to muscle Inbalance due to the manner in which I was training/exercising/surfing...heavy focus on the anterior upper body muscles. He suggested the TRX...try it out...I love the work outs an versatility.

10. Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    Yea my PT stated that my issue was due to muscle Inbalance due to the manner in which I was training/exercising/surfing...heavy focus on the anterior upper body muscles. He suggested the TRX...try it out...I love the work outs an versatility.
    will do for sure! thanks for the advice