LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    A month before we'd leave for CR we'd get our base tans at the tanning saloon. I 'd practice holding my breath while in. I start thrashing about because I heard/read somewhere it's harder holding it while being reamed by a big wave.
    Really this is probably the best advice... Seriously!!!

Just start paddling!!! You can do as many other things , but nothing matches the real thing...

#therealthingunbelmarnj

Rowing machine....anything that makes you sweat really....eat steaks and chicken.

Steroids . .

What kind of individual trains to go surfing? JUST GO SURF! Sound familiar braddahs???

Anywayz...now that people are taking these types of threads seriously (which I'm very happy to see since mine weren't a year ago), I've got a few thoughts in addition to the many great points put up my several posters. fins369, that was one of the best posts I've seen on this board.

I may be repeating some of what others said on here but my focuses are: 1) 6.5 days a week of diet perfection with one cheat meal weekly; 2) flexibility and core training; 3) low to no impact training no matter what implement; 4) pushing anaerobic and aerobic capacity during all workouts via interval style; 5) hydration round the clock.

Specificity is so key with anything athletic. fins369 talked about simulating the environment you'll be in at these vacation breaks, if not exceeding their intensity during your pre-training. I always like to go to battle knowing that I've prepared myself to sustain a stronger onslaught of external forces than I will face that day.

One thing I've started recently is working on getting to my feet when tired. I've done this at the end of weight circuits. Mock paddle on the gym floor then push to feet and make sure I'm front-weighted with proper spacing in stance (skating narrows it). Think about it - do you want your movement to your feet to be sloppy and insufficient when you've just paddled your hardest through sets out back or into a big wave that's harder to get into? No way. That's asking to get shott from the lip.

Without stressing your body from over-training, if your weakest link (whether it be form or imbalanced strength or what have you) is buffered over time to not be so weak, your outcomes in bouts and instances of high physicality and challenge will be more desirable.

Keep this thread going. It's on point.

Quote Originally Posted by wavehog1 View Post
    One thing a lot of people forget is strength training for your legs.

I really notice an immense difference in my surfing when I do any kind of exercise or training with my legs. Whether it be squats, running, jumping etc... My surfing is literally night and day difference!

Another biggie is your diet! Curb the sugar! Sugar breaks down muscle. Stack up on the protein.

Really is a good idea to train ahead of time for a surf trip! It definitely makes the trip a lot more enjoyable and you're able to surf better, longer and be prepared for those big swells!
    Great points all around. Except for "sugar breaks down muscle". Sugar isn't exactly our best friend, but it's not catabolic, bro. If anything, sugar spikes insulin which deposits nutrients in the muscle = anabolism. The only thing that "breaks down" muscle is caloric restriction and/or stress hormones. Sugar is a macronutrient and an energy substrate. The body does not rid itself of fuel sources when presented with them; it either uses them at the time for energy or stores them as muscle or fat.

Legs for days is right. My lower half has never been bad and actually been an asset over the years. However, living on the Carver and pumping the daylights out of that uphill endlessly has transformed my legs and hips like crazy. Strength, balance, endurance, you name it.

The legs are your biggest muscle group and loading them with any type of resistance will give you a very favorable endogenous hormonal response. Both in testosterone and growth hormone.
    Last edited by EmassSpicoli; Jan 29, 2014 at 06:58 AM.

For those who have mentioned breath holding / underwater training, what do you do exactly? I'd like to work this into my routine.

Quote Originally Posted by SHREDSLED View Post
    For those who have mentioned breath holding / underwater training, what do you do exactly? I'd like to work this into my routine.
    i like to put a pair of flippers on & dolphin kick the length of the pool (about 25m). when i get to the end, i'll surface, grab a couple breaths, then i'll head back to the other end of the pool on the surface, dolphin kicking on my back. rest & repeat. as i get used to doing that, i start trying to do a full lap, 50m, underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Great points all around. Except for "sugar breaks down muscle". Sugar isn't exactly our best friend, but it's not catabolic, bro. If anything, sugar spikes insulin which deposits nutrients in the muscle = anabolism. The only thing that "breaks down" muscle is caloric restriction and/or stress hormones. Sugar is a macronutrient and an energy substrate. The body does not rid itself of fuel sources when presented with them; it either uses them at the time for energy or stores them as muscle or fat.

Legs for days is right. My lower half has never been bad and actually been an asset over the years. However, living on the Carver and pumping the daylights out of that uphill endlessly has transformed my legs and hips like crazy. Strength, balance, endurance, you name it.

The legs are your biggest muscle group and loading them with any type of resistance will give you a very favorable endogenous hormonal response. Both in testosterone and growth hormone.
    Thanks for clearing that up Dr. Spicoli....

I'm more apt to avoid the sugar though with the thought in my mind that its breaking down my muscle instead of an insulin spike, or energy substrate or anabolism etc...

Yes.... just go surf probably is the best training but I think a good percent of guys going on trips are mostly weekend warriors (at best).

Wouldn't worry too much about getting too big or putting on too much muscle. If you are only training for a month or so ahead of time you probably aren't going to turn into the Hulk. Over time its possible and yes it probably would hinder your flexibility. From my point of view it always seems as if the big "stacked" guys are always the most uncoordinated and have yet to see any bodybuilders killing it in the lineup.

Flexibility really is a major factor if not the most important along with stamina and/or endurance. If you are flexible not only will surfing benefit from it but it also really decreases the chance of an injury. You really want to be nice and loose when bouncing off reefs....

Images
    I just downloaded Surffit with taylor knox, also this:

http://www.surfline.com/community/wh...ws.cfm?id=1169

10. Quote Originally Posted by fins369 View Post
    PM me for info. I'm a pretty OCD type person when it comes to this, and I've got training calendars I'd be happy to share. I'm training for an April trip to Costa (6th in 5 years) and I have a pretty good grasp on what works and what doesn't.

While surfing is like football, in that each wave/play is very short (and you would think you would train for short bursts of activity), training for a surf trip should be approached like you are training for a marathon. 2-3 sessions a day, high wave counts, most breaks are a long paddle out, for a week or longer, requires training for longevity.

Get light, get lean, build stamina, cardio health, breath control, flexibility. lift light weights with huge rep counts. tons of core work. tons of multiple muscle exercises (kettle ball exercises, TRX, burpees). Running is a great training tool (long runs, 3+ miles) as you not only get a great leg workout, but long distance runs work out the core. Also, the back and forth action of your arms really work out your back if the run goes long enough.

Swimming. While doing some sprint work is beneficial, its best to just swim as long as possible, as much as possible. Its not the 4 second sprint trying to catch a wave that tires you out, its the repetitive 300 yard paddle back to the lineup that gets you.

I get the most enjoyment on surf trips when i show up in great shape, as light as possible, with legs that are in shape. I'm not a great surfer, but the difference in how i surf when I'm out of shape, versus how I surf when i show up down there, is night and day.
    awsome! i think the same way as you, people here were saying do short swims with hard instensity? thats not what makes your arms pasta in these surf trips, its the surfing 6-8 hours a day, the longs paddlebacks, getting caught inside, etc. yeah, I try to eat health all around. no junk food, i dont eat sugar at all maybe once or twice a month.

those who said go out and surf, where I live I gotta wake up at 4am, take an hour ride to the break, surf and hour or two and head back to the city to college or work. I TRY to do this at least twice per week, but I totalled my car and I depend on friends so its not as easy as it used to be.

for those who said go out there on a longboard and paddle for ages, I would LOVE to be able to do this, but with the explanation above, Id rather surf when I do go to the beach he.