LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Agabinet View Post
    6 feet and 173? Pig! What, did your mom give you twinkies at every meal?

    For the record, 56 years old, 6 feet, 160 lbs, 8% body fat, late life surfer and fitter than you.

    i'd love to hear what you think of me, then. 6'0" & 200lbs.

    go ahead & make another "mom" comment...burro.

  2. #52
    Juanc, the body needs some levels of all three macronutrients (pro, fat, CHO) at all times for fuel as all three systems are constantly burning to some extent.

    Protein is excellent for a storage component to build and repair tissues. However, it is by far the least desirable of the three as a fuel source and consequently is the hardest for the body to use as an energy substrate. A great analogy is needing to throw more quarters in the arcade machine since the 10-second clock is counting down but all you have is Susan B. Anthony coins and those take 9-12 seconds for you to change into quarters. What happens when you pass that theoretic 10-second time limit and need more "quarters" (CHO) is gluconeogenesis and the breakdown of muscle tissue your body is cashing in because it needs something to burn as fuel. Very contradictory to what you're trying to achieve and also toxic to some extent. Go put kerosene in your gas tank and see how long it runs.

    I've said this all before on here. Some of the dietary advice here is as good as the relationship counseling in a hair salon.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i'd love to hear what you think of me, then. 6'0" & 200lbs.

    go ahead & make another "mom" comment...burro.
    nj42, sounds like Agbrah is a walking proponent of the BMI. Good thing I narrowly escape obesity these days!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    Some of the dietary advice here is as good as the relationship counseling in a hair salon.
    fairly brilliant comparison, emass!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post
    nj42, sounds like Agbrah is a walking proponent of the BMI. Good thing I narrowly escape obesity these days!
    pretty sure my height/weight combo marks me as overweight on the BMI scale...such bs as i know i'm fit & healthy & workout 4-5 days per week, not including surfing (which will always take priority over any workout). i'd like to surf w/ this guy on a day like this past friday here...we'll see who A. reaches the line up first & B. who catches more waves/lasts longer in the water.

  6. #56
    True dat bro. I've lifted 4x in 10 months and just surf and skate with no loss (more like a gain) in mass and strength. I'm similarly proportioned to you relative to mass per height if not a bit leaner, and I consider myself to be on the upper limit of ideal surfer aerodynamics. Wouldn't even mind dropping a few more but muscle would start going too. The thing is, we've been walking for a couple decades now with a good level of lean mass that our baseline has reset itself and the caloric restriction needed for weight loss (aka mainly loss of lean mass at this point) would warrant more severe caloric restriction that would be neither enjoyable nor beneficial.

    I'm stoked for Agbrah though that he's in great shape for his years. If the dude is financially solvent too then I hope he lives near a bevy of young professionals or a college campus.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    monmouth county
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i'd love to hear what you think of me, then. 6'0" & 200lbs.

    go ahead & make another "mom" comment...burro.
    right there with you man, 6'0, 202 pounds. my biggest problem is finding boards now a days. 4 years ago as a kid in highschool i was 5'6, 140 pounds haha. now 4 years later and living back in NJ my old quiver barely floats me. guess i won't be riding 5'8 shortboards ever again.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by rideacarr View Post
    right there with you man, 6'0, 202 pounds. my biggest problem is finding boards now a days. 4 years ago as a kid in highschool i was 5'6, 140 pounds haha. now 4 years later and living back in NJ my old quiver barely floats me. guess i won't be riding 5'8 shortboards ever again.
    yea, when i graduated college i was super lean, 150-160lbs & next to 0% body fat from running competitively for 10+ years. the inclusion of volume in board dims has been immeasurably helpful to me...regardless of length, i try not to go below 32L or above 34L...obviously, closer to 34L for small/mush wave boards & toward the lower end for good wave boards. i've been perfectly comfortable riding 5'8"s & 5'6"s as long as they've got the float. 5'8"x18 1/2"x2 1/4" ain't cutting it, though.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rhody
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    pretty sure my height/weight combo marks me as overweight on the BMI scale...such bs as i know i'm fit & healthy & workout 4-5 days per week, not including surfing (which will always take priority over any workout). i'd like to surf w/ this guy on a day like this past friday here...we'll see who A. reaches the line up first & B. who catches more waves/lasts longer in the water.
    You guys who are chunkier than me missed my point! Being ripped doesn't make me a great surfer. Tons of guys who have "obese" BMIs are way better surfers than skinny rats like me. A fit guy isn't a better surfer, a good surfer who is fit has a chance of doing better and having more fun. I see it all the time, guys with all kind of bodies get higher wave counts than I do cause they are better, more experienced paddlers and surfers.

    Peace to all the chubby hubbies.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rhody
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by EmassSpicoli View Post

    I'm stoked for Agbrah though that he's in great shape for his years. If the dude is financially solvent too then I hope he lives near a bevy of young professionals or a college campus.
    I do . .. But happily married 32 years, by staying away from all that young stuff!